Chapter Ten

"What time is it...?" Makoto said drowsily from the floor.

"Almost two in the morning..." Futaba sat in her computer chair, eyes glued to the screens and nose in a mug of coffee.

"What exactly are we waiting for again?"

"I'm not sure... Mona just said wait until something weird happens with Akira..."

Makoto sighed and put her head back against the bed, attempting to rub the sleepy feeling from her eyes. Haru was lying on the bed fast asleep; the coffee didn't do much for her.

   "Has Akira moved at all in the last hour?" Makoto asked.

   "Nope."

   "How do you stay up so long? You don't even look tired..."

   "I'm used to it!" Futaba gave a laugh, followed by a yawn and a drowsy look. Makoto rolled her eyes and stood up to take Futaba out her chair.

"Alright, get some sleep. I'll keep watch for a bit." she said.

"Sleep? Ha! Sleep is for the weak—! Snzzz..."

The very second Makoto put Futaba on the bed by Haru, she was out like a light. Makoto shook her head with a smile and sat in the chair, refilling her own cup with the coffee maker sitting close by.

"Ok... no sleeping, Makoto... you got this..."

————

    Akira slept soundly for the majority of the night. Almost too soundly.

   He looked the same way he did while in him coma and didn't move at all. Morgana was so worried about it, he laid in a spot where he could feel the rise and fall of Akira's chest just to make sure he was breathing.

   Yusuke stared at his leader as he slept, trying his best not to fall asleep himself. He rubbed his temples before looking at the time on his phone. Yusuke turned to Ann and shook her a little.

"Ann, wake up, it's your turn to watch." he said quietly.

"I never exactly fell asleep..." Ann sighed and sat up on her hands, "I'm so worried about him, I don't want to take my eyes off him."

"I don't blame you. I still can't believe he just... did that to himself without warning... it must have been horrifying to see..."

"It was..."

Ann stared at Akira in his bed and frowned.

"It was almost like with Shiho... I wasn't there to stop her from jumping... but I was there with Akira... and I still failed to stop someone I care about from..."

She choked up and rubbed some tears away. Yusuke rubbed her shoulder in a soothing manner.

   "I understand how you feel... but the important thing is Akira is alive. We're all here to take care of him and we most certainly won't let anything bad happen again." he said.

   "Yeah..." Ann sniffled, "y-yeah..."

   "Nnn..."

   From the bed, Akira finally made a noise and his face scrunched up. The small action was enough to startle Yusuke and Ann.