thirty six! ⋆ BE BACK IN A JIFF

( songs for the chapter )⋆ jaded // aerosmith⋆ mrs

⋆ jaded // aerosmith
⋆ mrs. robinson // simon & garfunkel

WHILE KATE WAS GONE, ROBIN had cracked the secret Russian code

WHILE KATE WAS GONE, ROBIN had cracked the secret Russian code. She told her that Steve was right; that whatever was conspiring, was being conspired within the walls of Starcourt. And while Kate was busy trying to keep Billy Hargrove from killing all of her friends, Robin, Steve, and Dustin were formulating a plan to get into that secret part of the mall.

Kate and Steve were sitting in the break room of Scoops Ahoy, while Robin was working the counter. The three of them were waiting on Dustin, who was currently on a 'super secret spy mission.'

The blonde was sitting next to him at the round table, slouching tiredly in her seat. Her arms were crossed, her was head back, and her eyes were closed. Steve was fiddling with his sailor's cap, staring worriedly down at the girl.

With her neck on display, he could see a blotchy purple and blue bruise, that he hadn't noticed the night before. Kate had obviously tried to cover it with makeup, and she'd done a relatively good job despite the circumstances – you could only see it if you were really looking. But her work wasn't enough for Steve's observant eyes.

He stayed quiet as his mind reeled, trying to figure out how she possibly could've gotten such an injury. He knew Kate well enough to know she was clumsy enough to hurt herself in any way possible, but something told him it was much more than that.

After a few more moments of silence, he finally broke. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she replied softly, sitting up again.

Steve shot her a look. He normally didn't like to pry, knowing that that was Kate's least favourite thing. But something had definitely happened last night. And if he didn't know that from her tears the night before, he would by the patchy bruise on her neck.

"It's nothing, Steve," she pressed with a hard gaze.

Kate could see his eye flit down to her neck, momentarily looking at the mark she'd tried to cover. Her cheeks turned pink as she leaned her head in her hand in attempt to block his view.