Chapter 2

"Mom! We're here!"

"Grandma!"

M/n's mother walked out of the kitchen, wiping her hands with a small towel. She kneeled down, accepting the hug S/n gave her. "How's my precious grandson doing?"

"Good! Papa and I got ice cream!"

"You did? And you didn't bring me any?"

"Did you want some?"

She chuckled. "I'm just kidding, sweetie."

Just then, there was a bark. A tiny Bichon Frise dog came bounding into the room, barking about. 

S/n's eyes shone brightly

S/n's eyes shone brightly. He let go of his grandma and opened his arms wide, the dog jumping into his embrace. He giggled as the dog licked his cheek, barking. 

"Wow. You didn't tell me you got a dog", M/n said as he took off his tuxedo blazer, hanging it on the hat hanger before loosening his tie a little.

"Well...it was beginning to get too quiet around here."

M/n smiled and hugged her. He then led his mother to the living room while S/n played with the dog. "So, how are you?"

"I'm doing fine, dear."

"Where's Mitch?"

"Father, M/n. Your father."

"Right. Where is he?"

"I was just about to cook dinner, but I was missing a few things, so he went out to get them for me."

"I see."

"What about you?"

"Busy, as always."

She frowned. "M/n, I know being a lawyer has kept you busy. Especially when you work for the law firm your grandfather owns. But, you still have the responsibility of being with your son."

"I know I have that responsibility. I promised him that I'd be there as his father... His mother couldn't do that much... And to make up for that, I have to be there for him... Show him that I care... If I can't do that...how can I call myself a father?"

She sighed a little before smiling. "As long as you make the time for him."

Before they could speak anymore, the front door opened. They both turned to see Mitch walk in. "Ah. M/n."

"Hey, Mitch."

"M/n...!", his mother whisper yelled scoldingly before smiling again. "Welcome back, Mitch."

"Hey, hun", he said, pecking her on the cheek. 

M/n stood up and helped him with the bags, placing them on the counter in the kitchen. "Thanks. You really didn't need to do that."

"It's no problem."

"Grandpa!"

"Hey, kiddo! What's up?"