We're Not Little Anymore

[TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter deals with the theme of physical abuse]

Songs to listen to in this chapter:
1. Say Something- A Great Big World
2. Hold on- Chord Overstreet
3. Skyscraper- Demi Lovato
4. Breathe Me- Sia
5. Human- Christina Perri
6.Jar of Hearts- Christina Perri

*Hazel's pov*

After dropping Athena off and promising to text her later, we sat in the car in front of my house. I couldn't help but fidget with the camera for the millionth time.

"You ready?" Asher asked.

I looked up at him. "No....let's do this." I got out of the car but before I closed the door, I turned to Asher. "I think I'll be okay."

"If you're not, I'm just a window away." He said and we smiled at each other before I closed the door.

I walked up to the door and took a deep breath before entering my house. I closed the door quietly so my mom didn't know I was barely getting home. She probably thought I had already come home from "tutoring Violet".

I quietly crept upstairs to change into pajamas to make the little lie I was about to tell more realistic. I mean, come on! I couldn't just tell my mom I had been recording my dad do the devil's tango with some girl from a two story window. I had to come up with a cover story.

When I walked back downstairs, I saw my mom sitting on the couch watching tv with one of Leo's blankets wrapped around her. She had a cup of coffee in her hand. I walked over and sat next to her, putting the camera behind my back.

"Hey, mom. What are you doing up so late?" I asked her.

"Oh, hey sweetie. I'm just waiting for your dad to come home. Man, it's really sweet what he's doing for Leo. One day, you need to find someone, anyone that will love you as much as your dad loves this family; as much as your dad loves me." My mom gushed with heart eyes.

I didn't know if I could do this... No, I had to or else my mom and family would be even more hurt later on.

"Listen, mom. I was doing math homework and I needed to measure something, so I went into yours and dad's room to look for one of those tape measure things. I looked in dad's drawer under all his boxers to see if he had one cause ya know, dads and their precious tools. B-but instead I found this. It's-I don't even know how to say this... Just-just watch it." I put the video up and handed the camera to my mom. I started pulling on the little tassels attached to the pillow next to me and I felt a lump in my throat when she pressed play.

At first, she just had a confused look on her face, but after a few seconds, I could see her expression slowly changing to one of indescribable pain. She didn't watch the whole thing. She ended up throwing her coffee mug on the floor after tossing the camera to the side. I flinched as the mug broke into pieces, just like her heart in that moment. The tears started falling and I couldn't see the color in her eyes anymore.

"M-mom, I-" My voice cracked when tears started forming in my eyes as well.

"That fucking unfaithful asshole! Your dad, he cheated on me! He cheated on me..." My mom stood up from the couch and started pacing, sounding completely destroyed and exhausted.

I opened my mouth, trying to form words as hot tears rained down my eyes. "I'm sorry. I-" I was cut off by the door opening and my dad coming in.

"Wow, those classes are so educational yet so hard. Hehe, Leo's lucky I'm such a great dad." He locked the door and turned around. His smile faltered when he saw us. "What happened?"