XIX.

COMING DOWN
- HALSEY

COMING DOWN - HALSEY

☾ °☆ . * ● ¸ . ★

"jocelyn!" klaus shook the girl roughly, trying desperately to knock her out of the trance she was under. jocelyn let out a breath as she met his gaze.

"that bracelet—" jocelyn breathed out, shaking her head. the girl pulled her pant leg up. klaus glanced to her ankle, seeing the silver bracelet he'd given her those years ago shine in the light from the lamp in the room.

"you held onto it?" klaus traced his fingers over the bracelet she'd used as an anklet for the years.

"i didn't feel right not having it on me." jocelyn spoke feeling a shiver run up her spine at his touch. "i never understood why it made me feel so calm. safe. took the loneliness away for a moment when i thought about it."

klaus put his arm around the girl, pulling her into his chest. the two laid in silence for a few moments, jocelyn feeling klaus' fingers tread through her hair once again.

"i remember him." jocelyn breathed out. "how i siphoned from him until he desicated, letting my mom finish the spell. i remember the way the power felt for the first time. how alive it made me feel. like a breath of fresh air after being suffocated your whole life. is that how it felt to break the curse?"

klaus moved his gaze to the ceiling, reminiscing over his first night as a wolf. "it felt liberating, but the only thing on my mind was you."

jocelyn took klaus' hand in her own, tracing shapes over his knuckles. "i'm sorry."

"why're you apologizing, love?" klaus pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead.

"your first experience as your true being was ruined because you were worried about me."

"i ruined your first experience in your true element as well, i'd say we're even now, miss odessa." klaus grinned, seeing jocelyn mirror his smile.

"you really watched over me all those years?" jocelyn questioned the hybrid in a quiet tone.

"if elijah or i couldn't, i compelled someone to do so." klaus replied honestly. "you were a wreckless, angry teenager." he let out a chuckle.

jocelyn rolled her eyes at his words. "i was trying to fill a hole with whatever presented itself to me."

"i know." klaus tightened his grip on the heretic. "i cleaned up after you a lot within those years."

"i thought i just had good luck with my past decisions not coming back to haunt me. it was a guardian angel after all." jocelyn smirked, pressing a kiss to his cheek. klaus turned his head slightly, the twos lips as close as they've ever been. jocelyn felt her dead heart jump.

"may i kiss you, miss odessa?" klaus mumbled, placing his hand against the side of her face. "unless you're not ready. i in no way intend on rushing you into something you aren't ready for."