Decisions (2)

"Just a sec, it's a little too dark in here," Liam pressed a remote and the blinds automatically opened. "I don't normally open the lights when there's still light outside. I like the natural light."

Liam gestured for Aki to come and take a look outside which he did.

His eyes bulged as he took in the view. Liam's unit faces the other side of the building, the one that Aki had not explored yet. So during his earlier walk, he did not see a park. Just like the front, there were also lots of trees around it, making it look like a forest within the city. The clear sky intersected with the sea of green below. It was a sight to behold.

Liam smiled as he watched Aki's reaction. "Beautiful, right?"

"Beautiful is an understatement," Aki stepped closer to the window, mouth still gaping as he pressed his palm on the glass.

"...Indeed," Liam said as he continued to watch Aki. "Shall we go see your room now?"

Liam led him to a room which was slightly smaller than the living room but which Aki considered as still something big. It had a queen-sized bed with another beautiful view outside.

'How can a student afford this kind of house!?'

"This place was a gift from my cousin which was a gift for her. When she got a bigger place, she gave this to me," Liam answered the unspoken question.

"She needed an even bigger space!?" Aki blurted out.

Liam laughed. "She has a lot of collections."

'What kind of family does this guy even have that giving apartments are a normal thing??'

"You can use anything here, even the things in the rest of the unit. You can move in anytime you want," Liam said. "So, what do you think? Did you like it?"

'I love it!' Aki wanted to shout that. The view outside took his heart. He imagined spending quiet evenings beside the window, reading, studying, or just staring outside. Or he could also take a walk around since it was not too far from the building. It was also not far from his university. Plus the rent!

"About the rent, do you really mean $100?"

"Yes."

Aki rocked on his heels. This was such a steal! He glanced at Liam, who leaned against the door frame, putting his hands in his pockets, leaving him with his thoughts. He looked nonchalant and irritatingly cool.

Surely, whatever worry he was thinking about the guy was baseless.

"M-may I think about it some more?"

A look of dejection crossed over Liam's features but disappeared in a flash, replaced by his usual smile. "Sure. When you've decided, just give me a call."

Liam led Aki back to the entryway without any more talks. Before Aki could open the door, Liam called out to him.

"I can make it $80," he held Aki's eyes as though making his point clear.

Aki's eyes widened but he could only nod as he left the apartment.