I'm seeing red (3)

When they were away from the school, Liam turned to him.

"Hey," he said softly, "why are you walking so behind?"

Startled, Aki paused in his steps before realizing what he had done and then continued walking again. He did not even realize that he was a few steps behind. He scratched the tip of his nose nervously. "...is it okay?"

Liam was silent for a while. "I'm sorry I went ahead of myself. Instead of clearing the rumors, I shouldn't have dragged you in it. Don't worry, I'll tell the truth."

What Liam said made sense. But Aki still felt uncomfortable. Liam was worried that he did not like it? Well, he could care less if it was just him. He was called a lot of names, party animal, Mr. Hungover, among others. But he did not want Liam to be called names because of him too.

He tugged at Liam's sleeve to make him walk slowly. "Liam, I don't know what you think but I'm not that fragile. I-it's fine with me, being called names. I'm used to it. But I don't want to involve you in those names too. It's okay if they call me names. But if they oomf..?"

Before Aki could even finish his sentence, Liam pinched his cheek. In contrast to the smile on his lips, his eyes were dead serious.

"Don't get used to them. Then again who cares about those? You're not even close to the names they are calling you."

"But what about..."

Liam pinched him again before grinning, this time the smile reached his eyes. "I. Don't. Care. Don't worry too much."

Aki glared at Liam as he held his red cheeks. Instead of getting intimidated, Liam roared in laughter. In his eyes, Aki's attempt at glaring was no more than a childish pout, that he found it adorable. But he was sure that Aki would glare at him more if he said that out loud. Then he would not be able to hold back himself and pinch him again. 'What to do, he's really so cute looking troubled like that.'

Aki pursed his lips. Liam watched him before facing forward and spoke in a quiet voice. "I'm not... I'm not as good as you think I am."

There was something melancholic about his expression that Aki was not able to look away. Liam rarely showed expressions like this. Aki could not help but wonder what made him look like that. He wanted to know what was behind the easy smiles. In a silence stretched too long, Aki found his voice, albeit small. "What do you mean?"

Liam gave him a small smile. Aki knew that should be the end of the matter but there was still something nagging at him.

"Why are you so kind to me?"

It was Liam's turn to be startled. He scratched the back of his head. "How about we check out the supermarket first?" Liam pointed at the store nearby, his smile back on his lips as if none of the previous words happened. "It's about time they put some of the vegetables on sale."

"Liam."

Liam sighed and avoided Aki's gaze. "Maybe... maybe because I want to be your friend."

The words spoken were barely above a whisper that if Aki lost his concentration for a fraction of second, he would not catch any of it. When he heard those words, warmth bloomed in his chest like blossoming flowers in spring.

"B-but we are friends," Aki said sheepishly.

Liam's steps faltered, his eyes glittering. "We are?"

Aki nodded. "But you don't have to avoid your friends for me."

"I want to spend time with you though," Liam murmured. Aki did not catch it this time and Liam did not seem interested in repeating himself. "You are right. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize! I'm h-happy." Aki turned to his side, hoping to hide his blush. But it had reached his ears so it was impossible. "Besides, I want to meet them too."

"You've met them at Moonlight. Oh, but you might not remember them. I'll introduce them to you next time. But for now, what do you want for dinner?" Liam asked. His usual smile back on his lips. Aki returned a smile.