Lost and Found (3)

Aki placed his head over his hand, trying his best not to fall asleep. But he was getting clumsy and unintentionally swiped the row empty cans in front of him including the one he was drinking. He cursed under his breath as some of the beer got on his shorts.

After leaving Moonlight, he decided to walk to their apartment to sober up. The chilly night wind did the job. Soon, thoughts of a cold apartment with an equally cold Liam waiting for him dampen his mood yet again. At that time, he passed by a convenience store and thought on his feet to get more booze.

Maybe Liam would soften up after having a few drinks.

The sounds of the cans clanging were louder in the quiet neighborhood that a tiny part of Aki feared that someone might hear him and complain about the noise. He distracted himself by watching the stars overhead. If it was any other day, he would have enjoyed this tranquil night, perhaps even took a few shots of the stars. But not now. Not when his chest thundered loudly, his nerves on the edge.

He refocused his attention and made him think of the things he would say to Liam. The moment the door to their apartment swung open Aki would say, 'I'm sorry for leaving.' No, that sounded like a husband leaving a wife from a drama. 'I'm sorry for being such a jerk. You only meant well but I went ahead and got my heart broken again.' Aki tilted his head. Too much baggage in the last line. He could not understand himself but somehow, he did not want Liam to know how much of a pathetic loser he was when it came to love.

Aki sighed. He would just stick with the 'I'm sorry for being such a jerk.' It summarized perfectly what he really was.

He reached the apartment and fumbled with his keys. 'This is it.' He pushed open the door and Aki stepped in.

There was no Liam. Like before.

He might not have taken a step inside the house, but even as he stood in the entrance, he could tell that there was no one in there. He leaned on the door as the adrenaline rush he felt earlier left him. He trudged towards the living room and set the beer on the center table as he plopped to the floor.

With a press on the remote control, the curtain fell away, revealing a beautiful view. He sighed with relief. How he missed this. As he watched, he made his resolve. He would not fall asleep waiting for Liam this time.

But he could not stop his legs from bouncing. Waiting without doing anything in this quiet place got him more nervous than before. He started reaching out with one can. And another. And another.

Until who knows how many drinks he had that his head started to droop. Aki tried to shake his head in the hopes of clearing his thoughts. Instead, he got more dizzy instead. He tried to rehearse his apology. He shut his eyes trying to capture the right words. But the words remained elusive no matter how much he tried. He was too tipsy to think that everything seemed to be in a blur.

He glanced at the scattered mess of cans in front of him and gave a testing swirl to one of them. All empty. He groaned at the thought of going outside to buy some more drinks. But he still went, almost slipping on the spilled beer from earlier.

He went out and crashed on someone else's body. His body swayed by the impact. But a strong arm hooked to his waist and hoisted him up.

"Where are you going?"

Aki stared up. In his blurry eyes, he could only make out the outlines of a face. He could not tell who it was but the scent was undoubtedly someone he knew.

He giggled, as he hugged the other person and nestled his head on the guy's shoulder.

"You're finally here. Hehe."