30

It's like a switch got flipped. That's the best way I can describe the effect of Soda's speech on my mind. I never thought of what I might be losing if I lost myself. If I was dead, I'd never eat another Peanut M&M, and if that's what I was living for than so be it.

I'm not saying I was fixed or that all my problems disappeared, but I didn't want to die anymore. The urge to cut had gone down considerably and, because I was still on 24/7 watch, I wasn't able to cut anyway and I got better at shoving the urge down and ignoring it.

After that night, living felt easier. There were still tough times and some days were just bad, but for the most part, I was happy. Somedays, I was even happier than Two-Bit or Sodapop.

I got my life back. I beat my brain. It wasn't all sunshine and roses, but there were just somedays that I would smile and think, "I'm so fucking happy I'm alive. I could've missed all this."

Less than a year after I finished high school, I was engaged to none other than Two-Bit Mathews himself. Darry didn't love the idea, but he grew to accept it. Two even got a job writing comics for the newspaper, a job where he got paid to tell jokes.

The day we got married, Two-Bit was grinning at me the entire time the priest was talking. When he finally said "you may kiss the bride," Two kissed me and then pulled away to tell me, "I've been telling you for years, I couldn't get along without you, baby." 

That's the end! I hope you guys enjoyed it. Would anyone read a sequel to this story about Two-Bit and Katie's life together? Comment and let me know!