Chapter 2: Farewell Paevia

Within an hour, I'm given a room for the night and have been told that we leave at first light the next morning. Both my body and mind are restless as I pace around the elaborate room decorated with fine paintings and fabrics that adorn the plush bed, thinking about what the following months would hold.

Navigating these lands proved to be a dangerous endeavor, with hardly anyone making it out without some sort of loss whether that be due to bandits or beasts. Most people find solace inside the safety of the kingdom's walls, never daring to venture out into the world. The area between Paevia and Rorik was notorious of a particularly harsh band of fiends, and those that did live freely in the lands were usually up to no good. Yes, there were a few small settlements scattered here and there, but usually outsiders left a bad taste in their mouth and they weren't so accepting.

Say I did run, what then? I'd have no money, no food, and a bounty on my back. I'd have nowhere to live, and if I were caught and returned to Paevia, I'd wish I was dead. This leaves me with only one option: retrieve the princess as quickly as possible and try to get along with my new comrades along the way.

I let out a slow exhale and sit on the edge of the bed, running my bare feet over the cold stone floor and look at the wardrobe before me. After I was dismissed, a seamstress took my measurements and was fitted for some armor that I'd receive in the morning. I've never really worn anything even close to it before, so I'm curious to see how that will go. In the meantime, I was given an assortment of clothing that was packed away in a medium sized bag and a brand new pair of boots that I have yet to try on though they seem comfortable based on their appearance.

Another hour passes as I stare around my room, grasping on what is now my reality. A small part of me insists this is some dream and I'll wake up back in my cell, but I'm no fool and I know I'd have woken up long ago if it were.

Later, dinner is delivered to my room, consisting of more rich food that I gorge myself with until I cannot take a single more bite. Licking my fingers clean, I push myself up from the chair and walk over to the wardrobe, pulling out a thin white nightgown and slipping it on. The fabric is light and comfortable and I crawl into the large bed, realizing that I haven't had anything proper to sleep on in a long time.

As much as I'd like to lie awake and contemplate what the future holds, the down comforter and pillows drag me into a state of unconsciousness and I fall asleep within moments.

Unfortunately, a fast rapping at my door rouses me not long after and I sit up blinking slowly.

"Lady Cora, I'm sorry to wake you but I'm here for your fitting," I hear a muffled voice say from the other side of the wooden door.

"My fitting? Oh, right," I think, and push the heavy covers off of me. Standing up, I pad over and open the door, forcing a smile at the young woman. She has red hair and freckles are sprinkled over her face and I notice she can't be much older than I am. Her hands are full of a bundle of items and I can smell the fresh turpentine oils they treated the armor with.

"You don't have to call me lady," I offer, stepping aside to let her in. "I'm far from it," I add in a lowered tone.

She pays no mind to me though and lays out the items on my bed in perfect order. It's not what I imagined, that's for sure, but I'll admit I'm very pleased with the outcome. Instead of the unflattering  heavy garb I had pictured, I am given a soft leather breastplate, matching shoulder guards, vembraces, and what I can assume to be a small sword that is wrapped up in a sheet from its outline. I have no idea how to use a sword, but I won't be mentioning it to her seeing as it would do me no good and would most likely embarrass myself in the process.

"The blacksmith worked all night long for this. I hope it serves you well," she says, turning to me. "Will you remove your nightgown my lady?"

Nodding, I do as she asks and slip on a pale blue tunic and dark green tights. She then helps me suit up, lacing the leather strings and tightening the breastplate and guards as well as lending aid when I have trouble with the bracers. I then slip on my boots that stop about six inches above my ankles and get a feel for it all, giving a shrug under the leather's weight. Surprisingly enough, everything is rather comfortable save for the boots that are too tight around my toes, but that's something I can ignore. With time, I'm sure I'll break them in and will hardly notice the discomfort. All in all, I should be able to move around with dexterity with ease.