Chapter Fifteen

She put her whole heart into the kiss, needing him to see how his listening had affected her. How safe it had made her feel in his arms. Her fingers curled through the hair at his temples as she held him close and moved her mouth over his.

With an intake of breath, he cupped her bum and flipped her onto her back, kneeling between her widespread legs. She fell awkwardly against the pillows and pushed herself up until she half reclined. "What are you doing?"

"Showing you what I think of you. Not too big. Not too quiet. Not too boring." He reached for the hem of her shirt, tugging until she sat up and lifted her arms. Sweeping it over her head, he stared down at her breasts and grinned. "Definitely not too big. Gwen, you're perfect for me."

Her chest heaved, and he buried his face in her cleavage, kissed his way across the boundaries of her bra. She'd changed when she'd gone home. Until now, he'd seen her only in her plain, boring, extra-support sports bras. Now she wore navy blue satin and lace. She'd had to special order these, but the money was so worth the pure pleasure on his face as he nuzzled her breast. "So beautiful."

He tugged the cup down far enough to tease her with the tip of his tongue. Pleasure shot straight through her core, and she shifted her legs restlessly. "More."

"Are you sure? A nurse I know keeps reminding me I've got this concussion..." He moved further down the bed, kissing his way to her waistband. His fingertips went to the snap of her jeans and flicked it open. Lowering her zip so slowly it sang, he teased her with a wicked grin, a grin that promised all manner of delicious torture. "I want to do something for you, Gwen. Something to show you how much I like you."

"Really? How do you think you can show me that?" She licked her lips, taking in the sight of this great, big man kneeling before her and dragging her jeans down her legs.

He tugged them all the way off, tossed them across the room, then stripped her socks off and sent them flying in the same direction. "I want you to know, this isn't something I do for every woman I meet."

"That's reassuring." God, how could this man make her smile and ache at the same time?

"In fact, I haven't done it many times at all-though I've been assured I'm naturally talented."

She bit back a laugh. "I'm fairly certain most men think that."

"Really? Well, in my case it happens to be true. So I've been told." He slid his hands up and down her thighs, each stroke bringing him closer and closer to the place she most wanted his touch. She bent one knee, giving him a hint.

He didn't take it. Instead, he hunched over and kissed her inner thigh before moving down-down!-toward her knee. The wrong damn direction!

When he made it to her foot, he kissed her instep and sat back on his heels. Then he laid her foot on his lap and began to rub. "Like I said, this isn't something I do for a lot of women. But I saw how you rushed around the A&E, and since you've been here you haven't sat still for long. You've been running around all day doing things for me and Agnes. I want you to know that I've noticed and I appreciate it."

Stupid, grateful tears stung her eyes. The fact that he'd noticed both surprised and thrilled her. Embarrassed, she swiped at them and tried to make a joke. "Damn. I was hoping you were going to go down on me."

He burst out laughing, making the bed shake beneath her. Squeezing a sensitive spot on her foot, he winked. "Oh, I'm going to do that too, sweetheart. Don't you worry. Just relax a bit first, and then we'll get there."

She bloody well tried, but it wasn't easy with his fingers massaging her. After a few minutes, she placed her other foot on his thigh and flexed her toes, brushing his erection through his jeans. He jerked, his nostrils flaring. "No fair. I'm trying to do something nice and unselfish. Touch me like that again and there'll be consequences."