Part 7

The day of the meeting had arrived. I paced back and forth within my office, taking deep breaths, trying to force myself into the right mindset. This would be a delicate balance of a meeting. If it didn't go the way I planned... it could be disastrous to everyone.

It had to go according to plan.

"Hallers," I called out, waiting for the butler to arrive before asking my nervous question. "Where is Jim? I thought he agreed to come?"

Hallers was frowning. "He did, Miss. He was never one to be tardy, despite his unprofessional attitude in many other areas. He should be here very shortly."

"I can't be here alone. I need them to take me seriously, and for that I need scary looking support!" I resumed pacing. "The meeting is scheduled to start in a few minutes, we may have to delay it."

He watched me walked back and forth for few moments before nodding. "I'll do my best, Miss."

"No need to delay, I'm here." Led in by one of the servants, a tall, intimidating gentleman, just what I had been waiting for, walked into the room.

... There was just one problem:

It wasn't the one I was expecting.

"You're not Jim!" I blurted out, glaring at Nathanial who spread his hands helplessly.

"I know I'm not."

"Why isn't Jim here?" I paused in my pacing, feeling slightly panicked.

Seeming to sense my mood, Nate held his hands out speaking slowly and calmly, as if speaking to a nervous horse. I would have found it insulting if I hadn't been too busy going over my plan in my head, trying to make revisions.

"Jim was called away on unexpected business, and he sends his apologies."

"He will be sorry." I muttered, but Nate continued on as if he hadn't heard.

"He knew you needed someone tall and scary looking, and I was the first person he could find to replace him."

I looked him up and down. He wasn't quite as muscular or intimidating looking as Jim was... but as long as he kept his mouth shut...

"This might work." I nodded. "Fine. I'll use you."

"Good." He smiled. "What do I do?"

I grabbed his arm, steering him towards the back wall with a gentle push. "Stand behind me and glare."

"That's it?"

"That's ALL. Do NOTHING else. Just stand, glare, and look like you're ready to destroy anyone who glances at me the wrong way."

Nate seemed surprised for a few moments, but then laughed. "Sure, I can do that."

"Okay." I took a deep breath, steadying myself, and sat down at the desk. "Hallers, you may bring in the first group."

"Yes, Miss." With a disapproving glance in Nate's direction, he left.

"Your butler doesn't like me?"

I grinned. "Hallers has good taste."

"Ouch."

Hearing approaching footsteps, I quickly shushed him. "Remember, not a word."

I arranged my features into a calm, pleasant expression. Everything was falling into place.

My first step towards truly changing my fate. It had to work. I couldn't fail.

It was time to save my home.

____________________________

"Gentleman." I gave the smallest smile in greeting when the officials walked in. Six men, all larger than me, older than me, and more experienced. They clearly were insulted by being called in by a young girl, and didn't bother to hide it on their faces.