17

I was in Charms class bickering with Draco and Blaise when Professor Snape suddenly barges into the room

I was in Charms class bickering with Draco and Blaise when Professor Snape suddenly barges into the room. His eyes find me instantly and suddenly I started thinking of all the bad things I did recently to Cho Chang.

"Could I excuse Miss Kallista Emrys from the class, Professor Flitwick?" For the first time in my life, Professor Snape did not sound bored or condescending. It made the panic rise.

My friends share a similar look.

Professor Flitwick looked startled at the interruption but nodded.

"Take your bag with you, Emrys. You won't be coming back." Now I was really scared.

"Is everything alright?" Draco asked he reached for my hand and squeezed.

My throat was dry but I hurried to stuff my book back into my bag and stand to walk to my Godfather.

Professor Snape doesn't answer Draco but instead holds the door open for me to walk out of the class.

I take a hold of his hand once we were all alone in the hall. "Something's wrong. What's happened?"

My Godfather looks down at me. I half expected for him to pull his hand away from me but he doesn't. Instead he uses his free hand and places it on my shoulder. "Your Grandfather is at St. Mungo's."

"What?" My voice was barely a whisper.

"I'm taking you to St. Mungo's to see your Grandfather." Severus says patiently.

I felt frozen. My grandfather never went to St. Mungo's he was never sick. Never injured. He was the picture of health.

"Kally," I look up in surprise. Severus has never called me by my nickname. "Your Grandfather hasn't been traveling like he said he was. For the past year, he's been in and out of St. Mungo's. He's been sick for some time now."

The tears suddenly started falling rapidly to the point that I could hardly see.

Why didn't I notice he was sick? He looked so well. He even looked happier this Yule.

Severus uncharacteristically pulls me to him and wraps an arm around my back. He hushes me softly.

He let's me cry it out and only pulls away when I've calmed down enough. "Are you ready?"

I nod and he offers his hand for me to take. We didn't have a very close relationship but growing up he was always there. He ignored me most of the time but he listened when needed, rolled his eyes when I complained and smiles when I gave him gifts or bake him cookies.

We walk silently through the halls of the quiet school. He push opens the door to his office and takes me to his floo.

I've always felt uncomfortable at St. Mungo's. It reminded me of the story that my Grandfather would whisper to my Godfather. My father died instantly when the Aurors mistook him for a Death Eater but my Mother, she died a slow painful death in St. Mungo's.

The reason why Severus Snape was even my Godfather was because of my mum. She was close friends with him during their final years in Hogwarts. They bonded over their hatred for Gryffindors and their love for Potions.

We walk along the halls not stopping to ask for directions, his robes flowing around him. We enter the Malfoy's private wing in the Hospital and stop outside big wooden double doors.

Severus squeezes my hand and push opens the door. I don't know what I was expecting to see but I would never have been prepared to see my grandfather on a white bed looking pale and powerless.

All my life Kal Emrys has been the most powerful and intimidating man I've ever known. His very presence screams wealth and authority. Someone you did not want to mess with.

Right now however, he looked anything but. A house elf was sitting beside his bed offering him soup and checking his temperature from time to time.

The elf looks up when the door opens and he whispers something to my grandfather who suddenly- with the help of our house elf- sits up and composed himself.

I could tell he was forcing himself to look a little less sick but I don't pay it much mind. I rush to his side and take a hold of his hand.

"My little one," He greets but his voice cracks. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"So, this is what Athens looks like." I say in a small voice. In his last letter, he told he was in Athens visiting a friend.

My grandfather chuckles and coughs. Our house elf offers him a cup of water. "You are your Mother's daughter that much is true. That tongue of yours is sharper than a knife."

In my peripheral, I see a small smile on Severus' lips. "What's happened, Grandfather? Why didn't you tell me you were sick?"

There was a very long pause that made my heart beat so fast I was afraid it would jump out of my chest. It was really hard seeing him like this.

He looked too pale and his eyes looked like life was drained out of it. "Could you give us a moment?"

The house elf vanished without a word and Severus nods turning away his robes swishing in the air. Once the door closes, my Grandfather points to the seat the house elf was occupying. I sit down on it and take a very deep breath.

"I apologize for lying." He starts looking out the window. "In the beginning, I thought I was just ill. A simple cold. I didn't tell you because I didn't want to worry you for nothing and then it became something."

Clenching my jaw, I look away not liking where this is going.

"Little one, I've been alive for a very long time. Longer than even Dumbledore." Grandfather says slowly. "It's simply my time."

"When?" My voice came out even but I felt like my whole world is crumbling. I've always had my grandfather. It's us against the world. His every presence is a pilar of safety for me. Nothing could touch me with him standing behind me.

He pauses a long time and reaches for my hand. I squeeze it gently. Even his grip was weak. "A few months. It gives me time to put everything in order."

"What do you mean?"

"Gringotts, the Manor, the house elves, everything goes to you. If you wish, you will never have to work a day in your life. The Emrys wealth is yours." I didn't want to know that. Grandfather takes a deep breath looking pained. "I'm sorry, my little one. I'm leaving you so soon. You're only twelve. This isn't supposed to happen."

Suddenly, fat tears started falling down grandfather's face. I cried too.

-

When we were able enough, grandfather called for Severus. He walks in looking solemn. In a few months, Severus will be the only one I'll have now.

Grandfather offers his a seat beside me and he takes it.

"I've told Kallista." He tells Severus reigning in his emotions as if he wasn't crying a few minutes ago. "As her godfather, you will have to take care of her. We've discussed this in detail during the last Yule."

Severus nods dutifully as if he wasn't just given a twelve year old to raise. My grandfather continues to discuss with him about other details that I tune out. St. Mungo's will now be taking two people from me. I know it's not the Hospital's fault but my heart aches for this place.

"Will you move into the Manor?" I ask almost in a whisper.

Severus turns to me almost in surprise and nods again. "Would that be alright with you?"

"Yes, please."