Chapter 28 - Snakes

They would execute him in two days.

Jungkook was in his cell, nearly starving, just waiting for his head to be chopped off by sword in a matter of hours.

And you, in Namjoon's home, only a matter of feet from him.

You couldn't let him die. You were too close.

You watched the flag of the emperor fly over the prison building. Even in the darkness, it was clearly waving above the prisoners waiting for the execution block. Each snap of the flag in the wind wound up your heart a little more.

Until it completely snapped.

You waited until Namjoon slept, until the night was the darkest. You couldn't slip out the front door or your bedroom window, but the main room had a larger window you could squeeze through. With every stealth technique Hoseok had taught you, you moved down the hallway past Namjoon's door and into the main room. In the pitch black, you felt your way to the window, separating it from the wall and slipping through.

You fell to the ground, flat, waiting for any indication that Namjoon had woken up. You kept a close eye on the guards as they stood to their posts, remembering that if any of them saw you, they'd kill you per Namjoon's command.

After a minute of silence, you crawled away from the house on your elbows, the dirt shifting ever so slightly under your toes. You had no shoes - it was easier to control your sound that way - so the dirt dug into your flesh. You kept your eyes on the guards, pausing every few moments to make them doubt their senses if their eyes caught any movements.

The only things close to Namjoon's house were the training field - a wide-open space - and the main hall. You watched the guards and judged the distance between yourself and the main hall. If you could get to the walls and crouch low enough, they wouldn't see you through the windows. On the other side of the hall, the prison was a straight shot. Maybe five hundred feet.

You waited until the guards had turned to each other in conversation, then sprinted across the training ground to the hall. The adrenaline took over, but you couldn't give into it. There was a sharp pain of fear in your stomach as you dropped to the ground next to the hall, checking to see if the guards at the gate had seen you.

They were still talking.

With a quiet breath of relief, you crawled under the windows, still keeping your eyes on the guards. If you could sprint just as fast down the main path to the prison, you could --

A woman laughed.

You stopped.

You raised your head to the corner of the window, taking care not to be fully visible. You looked in the window to see a group of guards and a half dozen hostesses. They were drinking and laughing, playing in their own personal brothel. Some women even walked in and out of the main hall without any fear, stepping out into the night as if they owned the stars. The guards didn't seem to pay any attention to them.

You had seen unfamiliar shadows walk in the night before, but you were never able to identify them. You thought they were guards released from duty or some type of servants. They were hostesses? Namjoon actually allowed hostesses in the prison?

And what was more frustrating was the fact that they had more freedom than you did. They walked in the night while you crawled on the earth.

"You can join them if you want."

You spun around to the voice, meeting eye to knee with a shadow. You immediately went to sweep, and the shadow stumbled. You jumped from your position to run, but the shadow already had you by the arm.