Home Sick

I frowned at my reflection. No, no, no! This isn’t good enough! I shimmied out of the dress I was wearing and went back to my closet. I had to look perfect today. After all, Bryce is coming back for the weekend and I haven’t seen him in a little over a month. Skype doesn’t count.

Letting out a sigh, I  looked through my clothes. Maybe I shouldn’t wear a dress. That’s too dressy. (Haha, dress, dressy.) I pulled out a pair of white shorts and tossed it on my bed. I searched through my tops and settled on a pink top that highlighted my blonde hair and sun-kissed skin. As much as I despised the color, I decided I’d get over it. After changing into my clothes I decided not to style my hair. Bryce always said he liked it when I left it natural. Before leaving, I added some lip gloss to my lips and headed over to Bryce’s house.

I had promised Susann, Bryce’s mom,  that I would help her prepare a big meal. I knocked on the door. “COME IN!” Susann shouted from the kitchen. I let myself in and walked toward the kitchen. “Hello Summer.” Susann said, as she tried to do a million things at once. She was stirring her famous soup and cutting up some fresh garlic at the same time.

“What can I help you with?” I asked, tying the apron around my back. “Could help make the cake? Bryce loves the triple chocolate cake you make, so your mom gave me the recipe so I could get the ingredients.”

“Aye, aye captain!” I said heading over to one side of the kitchen.

~~~*~~~*~~~

After two hours of cooking nonstop, we were finally done. The cake was baked and frosted, the soup was fully prepared, and Charles, Bryce’s dad, had finished grilling ribs and steak. I wiped my brow and washed my hands. From the front room I heard Susann squeal. My stomach lurched, and my heart fluttered. He’s here!

“Oh, welcome home sweetie” Susann squealed. “Nice to see you, son” Charles deep voice said.

“Oh honey, let me bring your bags upstairs. Oh my goodness! I forgot to make your bed!”

“Mom, don’t worry.” Bryce said, his voice washing over me, and warming me.

“”No, no, I’ll go do that right now. Charles, where did you put the sheets.”

“Up in the closet.”

“Which closet dear? There are 6 closets upstairs.” Susann pointed out.

Charles let out a deep sigh. Then I heard two sets of footsteps go up the stairs. I turned around and faced the entrance of the kitchen, and nervously bit my lip. Not even two seconds later, Bryce walked in. I had to catch myself on the counter. His skin was tanner than when I last saw him. His hair was slightly shorter too.

We met each other half way. His arms wrapped around my face and mine around his neck. I rested my head on his chest, just breathing in his sent. He always smelled of mint and spice… Bryce rested his chin on top of my head.

“I’ve missed you so much!” I breathed out.

“I’ve missed you too Summer.” He whispered.

I looked up into his eyes, nearly losing myself in his sea green eyes. Bryce leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. This kiss quickly turned heated, each of us hungry for each other. We broke apart at the sound of his parents walking down the stairs. I giggled and wiped my lip gloss off his face.

“See you got to be more specific. And why did you even put them in the spare bedroom?” Susann asked as they walked into the kitchen.

“I don’t know Susann.” Charles said.

“Well never mind. Let’s eat!” Susann declared clapping her hands together.

We all took our seats, Bryce and I sat across from each other, and his parents sat apart from each other.

Susann reached over and started pouring us bowls of soup, while we picked other things that we wanted. “So how has things been sweetie? Do you like your dorm?”

“It’s fine, I mean, its small for two guys. There room for two beds, two dressers and one desk. Theres hardly any room to walk though. But I guess it hardly matters, because the only time I’m there, it’s to sleep.” Bryce said, taking a bit of his ribs.

“What about the team?” I asked. “Do they have a decent team?”

“They’re pretty good. Defiantly a step up from the high school teams.” He told me.

“Do they have long practices?” I asked.

“Honestly, sometimes I don’t know where they end, and where they begin. Coach expects us to be at practice at six in the morning. We practice until noon, then we have a two hour break for lunch, then we work from two to 7 at night.” He said.

“Why so long?” I asked, shocked.

“Well, coach said if we work longer and harder during the summer, then we don’t have to have such long practices when the season starts.” He explained.

“How on earth is that any good for you? Someone could easily injur themselves,and be out for the season. Not only that, but they could become greatly exhausted, and not be able to do their best on the field or academically.” I ranted.
Bryce smile, “Exactly!”

~*~*~

We had finished eating and cleaning up, and Bryce and I were walking around the neighborhood. Our fingers were intertwined as we turned another corner.

“I can’t believe Mrs. Lyle got rid of her rose bushes! Remember how she freaked out when I asked to cut one for you?”

“Yeah! She said that it would be like cutting her baby!” I laughed.

“So why’d that old hag get rid of them?” he asked.

“She said roses were so last season. That lilacs are much more beautiful.” I said with a shrug.

Bryce chuckled. “Wow, this place just feels different after not being gone.”

His smile started to disappear as he glanced around. “I never realized how home sick I would be…”

“It’s okay, you’ll be able to come back and visit a lot. Right?” I asked, raising my eyebrow and giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

He shook his head and smiled. “Yeah, of course. Speaking of which, I was able to convince coach to let me stay for a week.”

“No way! Really?!” I asked excitedly. This was amazing! I though he was only going to be able to come down for two days, but a week! Eeek!

“Yep. More time for me to spend with my girl.” He said.

I giggled and kissed his cheek. I loved it when he said stuff like that.

“Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to go out tomorrow?”

“What do you have in mind?” I asked.

“Well, I already have something planned for tomorrow night, but you can pick what you want to do during the day.” He told me, a grin spreading across his face.

“Ohhh, I love surprises!” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!