Telling the Parents

“So you’re going to tell them separately?” Brit asked, as she helped me set the table.

“That’s the plan, why?”

“Well, wouldn’t it be easier to tell them all at the same time?” she asked, setting another plate down.

I thought about it for a second, “Your right.”

“Damn straight! I mean, if you tell your mom first, she’ll freak out and call Bryce’s mom. So, it just makes sense to tell them at the same time.” She explained.

“True.”  I said, just as my phone began to ring. I pulled it out of my pocket and answered it. “Hello.”

“Hey sweetie, I’m running a little late, so you and Bryce can have breakfast without me.” My mother said. Her voice sounded tired, as if she’d been up for hours.

“That’s not a problem mom. Bryce and I were actually thinking about having a Bar-B-Q this afternoon. Just you, me, Bryce, his parents and Brit.” I told her.

“That sounds nice dear. I should be home around 2.” She told me.

“Okay mom. See ya then.” I hung up, and glanced back at Brit. “Okay, operation ‘Reveal Proposal to Parents’, now into effect.” Brit said, with a smile.

“Hey, Britney?! I think I need another bottle for Avery. He downed his first one in less than 3 minutes.” Bryce yelled from the living room.

Brit sighed, “Okay, hold on!”

Brit walked over to the sink and started to make another bottle. “Summer, I hope you realize that you got yourself a good man. He’s always helping me with my kids, and he’s always there for you. I can only imagine how he’ll be with your kids.” She smiled, as she said this. She fin ished making the bottle and headed for the living room. Soon after I heard Brit break out into a fit of giggles.

Shortly after Bryce walked into the kitchen, with baby throw up all over his shirt. He stripped his shirt off, showing his toned abs. “Well, Avery’s able to chug down his milk but he sure as hell can’t keep it down.” He said, running his T-shirt under the water.

I couldn’t hold it in much longer. I let out a huge laugh. “So you think that’s funny huh?” He asked, inching towards me.

“Nope, its fucking hilarious.” I said, clutching my ribs, which ached from how hard I was laughing.

Bryce grinned and inched towards me. “Come on babe, give me a hug.” He said.

“No way, you reak!” I stated. And he did. He smelled like baby barf, and it made my weak stomach do a 360.

“Back off!” I said, as he took another step closer. I backed up to the point where I was next to the patio door. Then an idea snuck into my head. I grinned as I unlocked the door as quietly as I could. “I bet you can’t catch me!”

His eyebrow rose slightly, “Really? Well, babe I suggest you start running!”

I didn’t take a moment longer. I though open the door and ran out to the back yard and to the side of the house where the hose was. Quickly, I turned the hose on and waited for Bryce to come running around the corner. When he did, I sprayed him.

Bryce stood there, soaked head to toe. “You’re welcome! Dow you don’t have to go take a bath.” I chuckled. Bryce walked over and gave me a big wet hug, soaking me as well. “Bryce! You’re getting me wet!” I shouted, squirming in his grip. “That’s kind of the point.” He told me, pulling away from the hug.

I shook some of the water off me, and started to head back to my house. “By the way Bryce, I told my mom that we’re going to have a Bar-B-Q instead.”

“What happened to breakfast?” he asked.

“Well, she’s running a couple hours behind. Plus, Brit and I came to the conclusion that it would be best to tell both of our parents at the same time.”

“Your right. I think that would be best.” He agreed with me.

~*~*~

It was nearly 10 minutes until Bryce’s parents were supposed to arrive. My mom was upstairs, getting ready. Brit was putting the twins down for a nap. And Bryce stood next to me, my hand in his, as he told me everything was going to be okay. But I was still nervous. I was shaking. I had no clue how our parents are going to react. And to be honest, I’m worried of what they will think. After all, we’re both still real young. Bryce is just starting college. And I have yet to graduate high school. I’m surprised I haven’t started hyperventilating.

Brit walked down the stairs and joined my side. “The foods ready, and the twins are down for their nap.” She informed me.

I was about to say something, when the doorbell rang. All three of our heads turned into the direction of the door.

“Ready?” Brit asked.

I looked up at Bryce, and he gave me a reassuring smile. I looked back at Brit and nodded.

“Okay, let’s get this show on the road!” she said.

Brit ran and opened the door. “Hello!” Bryce parents said in unison.

“Bryce and Summer are in the dining room and Summer’s mom will be joining us in a second.” Brit informed them.

I took a deep and glance down at my ring. “Oops!” I said, turning my ring around so, the diamond was facing my palm. Bryce raised his eyebrow.

“We don’t want any spoiler alerts now do we?” I explained. Bryce smiled and nodded.

Just then Bryce’s parents walked into the dining room. “Hello!” the both said, taking their seats.

“Hope you guys are hungry!” I exclaimed.

“Been saving my appetite all afternoon.” Bryce’s dad told us.

“Good!” I said with a smile.

I heard the familiar clicking of my mom’s heels. “Sorry, I just go in about 20 minutes ago and I wanted to freshen up.”

“Oh don’t worry.” Bryce’s mom told her, as my mom took her seat at our table. We all bowed our head for a short prayer, before digging in. Bryce had made ribs, while Brit and I made all the side dishes.

“This is delicious guys.” My mom said with a smile.

“Absolutely scrumptious!” Bryce’s mom agreed.

We were all quiet for a while, as we enjoyed our meal. Then I knew we couldn’t put it off for much longer. I looked up into Bryce’s eyes one more time. He smiled and nodded. Clearing his throat, Bryce got the attention of the whole table. “There’s a reason that we wanted all of you here.” He started. The eyes of both our parents were focused on the two of us. “Well, as you all know, Summer and I have been dating for two years. And while I was away for those first couple of weeks at college, I started to think about my future more. I decided there’s no one else I’d want to spend the rest of my life with, than Summer.” Bryce said, looking down at me with that loving stare that made my hear melt.

He glanced back up at our parents, “Last night I proposed to Summer.”

I turned the ring around so the diamond was in full view, then raised it to show it to our parents.

“And I said yes.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!