Chapter 16

Damon's P.O.V

I fucked up.

I mean, it's not like I'm not used to fucking up because I am. But to fuck up to this caliber with something so new and good, that was different and it hurt. Hurt a lot more than I was prepared for, but I guess that's the case with mates.

William had one rule. One simple, yet stupid, annoying rule - no touching.

He'd made it abundantly clear from the moment we met that skin to skin contact was off-limits. And I, Damon Calderon, went and threw that out of the fucking window the moment he looked at me as if I was worth even a spec of his kindness. I wasn't.

And to top it all off, I got hard.

Got fucking hard for a man and a human of all things. Feeling his soft as silk skin brush mine, even for that all too short moment, made me harder than ever before.

Just touching my mate sent electricity rocketing through my veins and left me panting like a pup in heat. It made me feel alive in a way I've never felt before, silencing my mind and overwhelming my body with its delicious feeling.

If he didn't scream, I would've claimed those perfect lips without a second thought and not stop there. Goddess knows I would've submitted to my most primal urges and licked his little, human body all over until he was begging for more.

But he had screamed, he'd screamed and jumped away with fright and shock in those big, blue eyes. The look sending a sword of agony straight through my heart and silencing all my stupid wants. 

Now, Will had barely spoken to me since my little fuckup in the kitchen, only responding to my attempts to rekindle a dead conversation with one-worded answers.

I'd upset him, hurt him maybe.

I couldn't tell, not with the stoic look on his face. But I could tell that Will locked himself tighter than when we met, leaving me shut out in the process.

To know I was the cause burned like a festering blister on my heart. It was me, his mate, who did this no one else and that knowledge left me weak with regret.

Why the fuck did I have to go and ruin something good, again?!

Things were going well, so fucking well! He was smiling, laughing... he was happy. Goddess, he was so happy it made me ache with the need to keep it that way for as long as I could possibly manage. But best of all, Will was comfortable with me. Relaxed enough to open up more than ever before, share a little piece of the secrets he kept locked up... until I ruined it. 

You just need to turn this around, it's not over yet - Theo says, trying his best to be supportive despite the anxiety that rang through us. He said to stay, that must mean something.

He probably said it out of obligation- I grumble while spinning the noodles around my fork.

When has Will ever said anything out of obligation, he's more direct than you - Theo argues with a bit more momentum. He was probably just shocked that's all, he doesn't hate you now.

I hate me - I reply, aware that it was more than a whine than a reply.

Damon, I am not the wolf to a baby, I am the wolf to an amazing, alpha. Now get your shit together and fix this - Theo snaps angrily, using a bit of force to nudge my entire body.

You seriously need to calm down with the cursing - I reply, smiling gently at the way my skin heated up with his embarrassment as he faded away.