Chapter Thirty Eight - Known Strangers

Vote, Comment, Follow. You know the drill x

Seeing you after all this time hurts my heart.

KAYLEIGH ELLIOTT

Over a year later

Within the last year I felt like my whole life had changed. I had changed. I had become a better person and I was finally happy. Happy with my mental state, happy with myself.

College is a very confusing place to be. You're constantly surrounded by people yet you can still feel so lonely. But I was pleased that it was almost over, I was at the last hurdle. All I needed to do now was find out my final grade and graduate. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I had worked extremely hard on all my assignments and exams over the past year and it had definitely paid off. I stopped my therapy sessions about three months ago, I had to finish them at some point because I was finally getting myself together. Finally seeing the brighter side to life.

The last year was spent focusing on myself so much so that I barely saw anyone outside of college, meaning I saw Ava and Aurora twice.

I haven't even seen Kayden since he helped me home after I got absolutely wasted at that party. We texted occasionally after but nothing much.

He stopped texting me about four months after. And I haven't heard from him since. Kayden didn't need me. Kayden needed someone who replicated the same love for life he has, his generosity, his vibrant soul.

All I can hope is that Kayden has moved on. Or that his mate and him finally worked things out. The thought of him waiting kills me inside. I would hate myself if I knew he still was waiting. A part of me hopes that he knows better, that he knows to be with someone better.

Of course I still loved him but I know that he was worth so much more than me. To wait for me to get better, he didn't deserve that. I wanted him to let me go. I prayed he had.

Ava had invited me to Aurora's 2nd birthday party and I wasn't planning on going until now. I felt bad for not making an effort to see them more but when I say that I really needed to focus on myself, I really did.

Not just my grades and my college work but my mental health.

I decided to wear a cute little summer dress with a pair of my black converse. Then I drive on to Ava's house in my new car. I mentally accept the fact that Kayden could be here but I haven't come here for him. I've come here to celebrate my God daughters birthday.

Raising my fist up to knock on the door, ten pink balloons surround the wooden frame. Patiently waiting as I step back, my hands grasp each other.

When the door swings open Ava's brown eyes instantly fall on me. "Oh my God!" She yells before reaching forward to hug me.

"Surprise!" I say into her ear as I hug her back.

We begin to swing side to side, Ava hugs me impossibly tighter. "I thought you said you couldn't make it?"

I pull away and hold her at arms length. "I can always fit in my best friend and my favourite God daughter," I grin towards her.

Ava reflects my smile then beckons me inside. "You're a little early but that's great cause it means that we can catch up!"