Ch 13 - Ladies Luncheon

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Rosannah stifled a yawn as she bit into a delicious tart. The Marchioness of Insbury had invited a smallish group of married women to a Ladies Luncheon. The idea was to discuss the state of the workhouses but Rosannah had not seen much evidence of that as yet.

It was a cause Henry was passionate about, she had heard his discourses plenty of times ranting about the pointless cruelty that all who entered, suffered. His passion had fed hers and she was more than willing to join the battle hence agreeing to this lunch, but she had a definite feeling that the leaflet they had received upon arrival was all she would hear on the subject today.

Another time it might bother her but today she was just too tired to feel anything other than mildly irritated. She stifled another yawn, hoping the confection would make her feel more alert. Guilt nibbled her and she made the vow to ensure there was more substance to the next meeting.

She and Henry had not gone to sleep until the morning light shone through the curtains and had been awoken in a panic by Maisie informing her there had been no instruction to cancel the lunch and she needed to leave post haste.

She had rushed to get ready as fast as possible and had not even managed a conversation with Henry. He had looked adorably mussed up though and it was all she could do not to insult all present by staying abed and cutting the lunch.

Sadly her sense of honour had brought her, but now they were using the opportunity to gossip she felt indignant at the waste.

"The performance at Maison de la Musique last night was quite splendid." The comment startled Rosannah out of her daze and she saw Lady Enderly casting a sly look towards her.

"It often is," the Marchioness replied, "A good outing after your mourning period?"

"Lord Wiston and I enjoyed it tremendously, though not as much as some." Another look. Rosannah sighed, she expected snide comments from debutantes not respectable widows.

"Your Grace seemed to enjoy it," Lady Enderly directed at her, "At least the first half."

Rosannah looked at her head-on, she may have all sorts of difficulties with her speech but she was no coward. Besides which, after she and Henry made up last night she felt powerful. He gave her that.

"I did immensely Lady Enderly," she smiled peacefully, "I get utterly lost in music. It is one of God's beautiful gifts to us."

Lady Enderly narrowed her eyes, obviously dissatisfied at her failure to get a rise.

"Here here," Viscountess Clara chimed, "Well said indeed Your Grace."

It was strange to be in such a position of authority. Her elevation from the lowest rank to the highest had changed everything. People looked to her to see her reactions and followed suit. They deferred to her opinions, even though some were older and wiser than she.

She wondered how many of them had even noticed her before her marriage.

"Not the second half though," Lady Enderly kept poking. "It seemed you were out of sorts." Malicious to the core.

Rosannah kept her countenance. "I think I ate too much, the food was far too tempting." She nodded to Lady Hannah, "Your mother is such a genius at organising these things."

Hannah pinked at the compliment and it did not go unnoticed by anyone else. Lots of others chimed in, seconding the praise of the Duchess. Not Lady Enderly though, she looked even more disgruntled at her lack of success.