Chapter 76

What?

I thought I hadn't heard him properly.
I have been known to have selective hearing once a while but this, this wasn't selective hearing.

He said it.
And he even repeated it.
"I told her before we left the pack house that she can stay, there." I pulled back to look at him.
Was he being serious? He spoke to her? He told her she can stay? Just within the three seconds I took the lead to the patio?

It doesn't really take an hour to say, 'You can stay' you know.

Shut up.

"For-, for how long?" My voice was quiet.

"For as long as you want her to."
It was dark out now and even though we were close to the house, it was still dark around us since all the lights in the house were still off.
The moon had come out already and was giving off a little light, but that light was blocked out by the roof of the trees on top of us.

So where we stood was pretty dark.
But he still kept his eyes directly on mine.
"Really?" For as long as I want?
He was giving me that choice?

He stood there in silence for a while seeming like he was contemplating something. He parted his lips as if he wanted to say something but then he just sighed and stepped away a bit, leaving the shadow of the tree and standing directly under the night sky.

I could see him better there because the moonlight wasn't being blocked out.
He looked a bit conflicted as he tried to gather himself.
I slowly followed him to where he was standing.

I didn't say anything, I just stood there in silence, cautiously watching him.
He then let out another breath and turned back to me.

"Look Adriane, I, I don't particularly like intruders. Much less the ones that are caught snooping around my pack borders. So I think it's safe to say that I don't trust her, at all. But I'll let her stay. For you. If you want her to."

He's really letting her stay.
She's staying. For me.

I smiled at him.
"Thank you."
He smiled back at me and gave a quick nod.

"We should go inside." He said and gestured toward the house with his head.
"Yeah."
But we still stood in our positions.

After a while of not so awkward standing around he spoke. "I noticed you're still standing."
"As are you." I told him right back.
He stared at me for a couple more seconds before smiling and turning around. "C'mon, let's go." And he took my hand and led me to the house while I tried to stop the silly smile that was fighting it's way unto my face.