Chapter Twenty-Seven: Plotting Against a Psychopath

A/N: In going to be outside in high humidity and heat for band all day today so I decided to post. Please comment! I read all of them and they make my day, which will be needed today.

I met Klaus at the Mystic Grill at noon, we got a booth in the back and put in an order for food. "So, how did the Scooby Gang react?" Klaus asked with a sly grin as my rum and coke arrived. 

"Damon isn't a fan but I couldn't care less what he thinks, the rest of them are in agreement that this is the best option," I said with a shrug, sipping my drink. 

"So, I already know what you want, now its all about me," Klaus said with a wide grin as he sipped his bourbon. I chuckled softly and shook my head at his antics. "I want one day, to be determined and at our earliest convenience, where it's just you and I." 

I cocked an eyebrow, "Like a date?" 

"If we're labeling it, yes. A day-long date. And, I want to be even. A clean slate, judged by my actions from this time forward." Klaus told me seriously. 

I leaned back in my seat. It seemed fair enough. I live and in return, I forget the past and spend a day with him? It wouldn't be too hard, especially seeing as we seem to get along so well. "Deal," I said with a grin. 

The food arrived and Klaus was still smiling triumphantly. He really did act like a puppy sometimes. It was kinda adorable. Once the waiter was gone, I pulled the spell from my purse and handed it to him. "Here you go, I would give you my number but you already have that." 

"That I do." Then, he leaned forward, I knew he was going to do the compulsion so I held up my hand and took my necklace off, setting it on the table. "You are no longer required to spy on the Scooby Gang for me. All of your emotions towards me will be entirely your own." 

When I got home, I found an empty house, which was nice seeing as usually everyone was here or at the Salvatore's. Enjoying the peace, I started catching up on some work when a manilla folder caught my eye. 

I walked over to my travel bag and pulled it out only to remember why I had gone to Tennessee in the first place. My friend had told me that weird stuff would be happening in Mystic Falls, that I should be careful. 

Opening the folder, I started to read. 

The serial killings always happened when animal attacks popped up, which I recognized as the code word for vampire attacks. 

What made my blood run cold was that the serial killings always targeted the founding families. All except one. 

The Gilbert family.

Rushing downstairs, I started digging through our families stuff. For whatever reason, it wasn't just Elena and Mom who were big into journaling, but most of the Gilbert line. Which meant I had primary accounts on what really went down in Mystic Falls when serial killings popped up.

I picked the journals from my ancestress in the early 1900s and started reading. At first, there was nothing interesting but as I kept going, I learned all about the vampires in the town and watched as my ancestress slowly lost her mind. 

I picked up Johnathan Gilbert's diary, knowing that vampires were around in his time and was shocked to find similar passages in his diary too.

It didn't make sense though. There were entire generations of Gilberts who didn't go crazy, but once vampires show up we go insane? 

It wasn't logical. 

Night had fallen but I hadn't moved from my spot on the floor of my bedroom as I read. I flipped back and reread the diaries, making note of any similarities.