17

"jack":

cats use their whiskers to determine if they can fit in a space! <to cancel daily cat facts, reply 'cancel'>.

sent 11:39 pm

i'd like to fit in your space.

sent 11:42 pm

the answer is yes, by the way. i'd like to call.

sent 11:42 pm

amelia:

would i recognize your voice?

sent 11:45 pm

"jack":

i doubt it. my phone distorts my voice like crazy depending on how close i am to it.

sent 11:50 pm

amelia: incoming call

"jack": call accepted

"hey. i can't talk for long," a deep voice answers. he was right. i wasn't able to recognize his voice at all.

oh my god, it was happening! it was not joke his phone distorted his voice though, it was cracking like crazy.

"hey, oh my god. how are you, jack?" i say mockingly, a grin on my lips.

he laughs, the sound cracks, and i swear it's oddly familiar for a second. it feels like i hear it often...like every day often. "i'm okay, how are you?"

"thriving, honestly. i just got some new nude lipsticks and i'm really excited about them."

"you're gonna have to forgive me for being a teenaged boy, but all i heard was nude," he answers and i can imagine the smirk forming on some lips i know aren't his.

"gross. i said nude lipstick!"

"what is that and where do i get some?"

"it's lipstick that's skin coloured. are you still sure you want some?"

"oh. i thought it'd be way more exciting than that. you know those toys you have as a little kid where you scratch off the black stuff and there's a picture of something beautiful underneath?"

i can't help but giggle. "yeah?"

"that but lipsticks. c'mon amelia, let's start a business."

"i'd have to meet you in person first. i don't do business transactions online, jack. it's a good way to get scammed," i joke. i honestly wasn't that concerned with his identity anymore, just that he was there for me in a way others weren't. if it was going to take time for him to show himself and me waiting meant he was gonna stick around, i was going to wait.

i hear breathing for a moment, a door opening and closing, and then the line clicks dead.

"jack":

my family is home. can't talk anymore, sorry.

sent 12:00 am

he was lying, obviously. but he must have his reasons...i push it to the back of my mind.

amelia:

your voice sounds like graham. but it also sounds like harper. and finneas. and boyce if this is you, i swear it is SO embarassing. i don't know what to think-

sent 12:01 am

"jack":

how'd you know??? wanna go for tea??????? meet the queen????????? 

sent 12:03 am

amelia:

hahahaha, oh my godd. i hate you.

sent 12:04 am

"jack":

it's almost offensive you'd think i was graham. he's literally a crackhead who gets into fights.

sent 12:04 am

those words are so familiar.

i hope you weren't getting your hopes up...

sent 12:05 am

amelia:

jeez, no. hahaha, not at all.

sent 12:06 am

ANYWAY, is it weird that your voice is kinda hot?

sent 12:07 am

"jack": 

wtf is amelia the first to compliment for once?? wow, this is development. but no, i've been told my voice is very ~asmr~.

sent 12:08 am

amelia:

do NOT point it out. i am VERY PRONE to blushing.

sent 12:10 am

"jack":

i've noticed:) good night amelia.

sent 12:30 am

amelia:

'night, thanks for calling!

sent 1:08 am

"jack":

just for the record, your voice is very nice too.

sent 3:47 am