Chapter 7

Jeffrey stood in front of them, arms folded, unable to mask his surprise. "Elliot? What are you doing here?"

"We just moved here today," Elliot replied. "Celine's friend took it upon himself to help us out despite the fact that his help was not needed."

Jeffrey nodded slowly. "I see...." His eyes slid to Celine. "Is the friend that brought you here, perhaps Ashton?"

She nodded, pursing her lips. She didn't see why that mattered or how it was any of his business. There was no longer anything between them. It was better to live as strangers.

Jeffrey sighed and ran his hands through his dark brown hair. "I would leave if I were you," he said. "Living here is more challenging than you think. It's completely different from how you imagine it is."

"We'll be just fine," Celine said. "And I don't think we're close enough for you to be giving me advice."

"Stop being so defensive," said Elliot. "He's just trying to help."

"He's right," said Jeffrey. "I'm just trying to help you. So you don't regret it later."

"I don't need your help," said Celine. She stood up from the porch and dusted herself off. "You should go back to your own place now."

Jeffrey sat on the porch. "I think I'll stay here. I can see the stars better."

Celine rolled her eyes before entering the house, and shoving the door shut. Jeffrey was looking down on her, believing that she wouldn't be able to survive in this neighborhood.

But he was wrong. The city had already exposed her to the uncertainties of society. How hard could it be to live in a small farming community? What dangers could possibly exist?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Celine's eyes flicked open to the sound of a resounding horn. The sound hammered into her head like a loud gong, pushing her ability to sleep farther and farther away. She forced her eyes shut, attempting to fall back asleep.

The sound continued, shoving its way inside her room. It didn't seem to be dying down any time soon. Celine sighed and lazily rolled out of her bed. She would get some sleep tomorrow instead.

She went out to the hallway to find Elliot, also exiting his room.

"What's that annoying noise?" Elliot yawned, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Is this place being attacked?"

Celine padded down the stairs and opened the door of the house. A black van was parked in front of the lawn with two girls leaning against it. The girls looked like teens with their mature yet child-like faces. They were dressed in white overalls, similar to the one won by the woman at the wall.

One girl had sparkly green eyes and sported a blond ponytail. The other girl wore glasses and shiny silver braces. They giggled with each other, as they were deep in conversation. Celine silently wondered what they wanted. Especially this early in the morning.

The two girls stopped speaking when they spotted her at the doorway. The girl with the braces was the first to approach her, carrying a large brown box. "Today's your special day. Everyone's waiting for you at the town square. But first, you and your brother need to change into these."

Celine hesitated before accepting the box. "Special day?"

"We're holding a welcoming ceremony for the two of you," the girl said. "It's starting in a few minutes."

"That's not necessary," said Celine. She handed the box back to the girl. "I'm sure we'll eventually meet everyone as we continue living  here."

The girl looked confused. "But this is part of tradition. You need to participate to be considered one of us."

"But a welcoming ceremony is a bit much," Celine continued. "And we just got here yesterday. There will be plenty of time for us to get to know each other." Celine bit the inside of her lip. It was nice being welcomed but she didn't feel like being the center of attention. What happened to just saying hello and giving your new neighbor a home-baked pie? What was the need of all this unnecessary extravagance?

The girl with the blond hair left her spot by the van and stalked over to the house. She had a stormy expression on her face. "You're wasting our time. Didn't you read the contract? You're required to participate in the community's events."

Celine sighed. "That's true but..."

The girl grabbed the box from her friend and held it out to her; Green eyes bored into Celine's brown ones. "You should get dressed."

Celine sighed. She wasn't keen on meeting all of the community members so soon but she had signed the document. She had to think positively. Being the star of a welcoming ceremony wouldn't hurt. She could play celebrity for a day.

Celine accepted the box. "Okay."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is terrible," said Elliot as he held the white overalls in front of him. "How could you agree to wear this fashion disaster?"

"We need to start fitting in," said Celine. "And this has nothing to do with fashion."

"I don't like the sound of this "welcoming ceremony," said Elliot. "It sounds like some hazing ritual."

"You're wrong," said Celine. "It's just a kind gesture to welcome us to the community. They said it's a tradition." Her voice faltered, unsure whether to believe her own words.

"Then they better give us some food," said Elliot. "If not, then it's definitely a scam."

"Just dress quickly," said Celine. "I want to hurry up and find out what all of this is about."

"What's this?" asked Elliot. He picked up a piece of paper from the bottom of the box. It had been folded into a tiny square. He handed it to Celine.

She dropped the clothes which she had been holding and unfolded the piece of paper. It read:

TARGET #67: Celine Tierson