f o r t y n i n e

MY FLIP FLOPS smacked against the ground of the locker rooms, but I couldn't hear it over the adrenaline pumping through my veins and the loud music reverberating into my ears

"Don't stop me now." I sing out loud in the middle of the empty room, "Cause I'm having good time! Having a good time!" 

I jump up onto the bench and like the fucking idiot I am, I start pretending that it's a surfboard. 

Today was the last swim meet the Caldwell Flounders will compete in. Our name completely sucks shit but that doesn't stop us from completely annihilating every team in the state. Some idiot decided it'd be a good idea to pit us against the private school from Manhattan so now I was hear, dancing around the girl's locker room after everyone had headed to the pool. 

It was my pre-match warm up that I do every time. Call me superstitious but I swear it works and therefore if I don't do it, I'll probably break some part of my body if not all of it. I mean, it's not like that outcome is outside the realm of possibility. I'm clumsy as fuck. 

Pushing off the bench, I land flatly on my feet and begin to spin while jamming out to my music and singing at the top of my lungs. 

My eyes graze the casual statue of Chase Everett standing at the end of the row of lockers, a nonchalant smirk across his face and his head cocked to the side as he silently watches me. 

I stop spinning and start smiling—a natural reaction to whenever I see Chase. I pull my headphones from my ears and wrap them around my phone. 

"Has anyone told you how great you look in that swimsuit?" He questions as he drops his folded arms and walks towards me. 

"I look like a fucking cucumber." I reply, gesturing down towards the dark green swimsuit currently suffocating my body and the green cap in my hand. Chase chuckles as he reaches me and wraps his arms around my body. I cock a cheeky eyebrow at him, "Do you have a thing for cucumbers, Everett?" 

"I have a thing for you, Jones." Chase smirks before he swoops down and captures my lips in his. I melt in to him instantly and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. I have to rise on my toes slightly, due to being bare footed and Chase effortlessly holds my weight against him. 

I feel one of his hands drop from the middle of my back and slip further down. 

I start laughing against his lips and pull back, "Hands above the equator, Everett." 

"Whoops. Your swimsuit is just so slippery." Chase chuckles as I lean forward and press my lips against his once more. He breaks it only a few seconds later but just to mutter out, "And so damn sexy." 

I arch my back further into him and hold onto his sharp jawline as we continue to make out in the empty locker rooms. 

Suddenly, the sound of the door crashing open echoes before the voice of one of my teammates, "Hayden! Your race is next and the coach wants to see you."