Saturday Swim

The group converged on the Hardy residence as soon as school was out. Everyone wanted to know the latest news in the search for Fenton Hardy. Frank and Joe took their friends to their room and gave them the entire tale. Their friends stared at them in shock until they finished their story.

"Seriously? They didn't recognise you?" blurted Pete.

Chet burst out laughing. "Oh boy, wait until the Masons hear about this!"

"It might be best that they don't find out," said Slim.

"You guys were real lucky," said Biff.

Joe nodded vigorously. "Boy, don't we know it."

"And finding both your dad's wallet and his car was a real break-through!" said Jerry.

"You're sure nothing's happened to him?" asked Jack, seemingly more worried than the others about Mr. Hardy's disappearance. Frank and Joe figured it made sense though since Jack's mom died some years before, just like Nancy, and was really close to his dad.

"So far," said Frank. "Snattman's sure to keep him alive until Sunday, that's for sure."

"But, your dad wrote that note saying he was going to hand it over to the police?" asked Phil.

"Yeah," said Tony, "the three of you never leave off a case until you've caught the bad guys."

Joe explained. "We thought the same, until Mom informed us that those contents were just a ruse in case one of his enemies got the note before Mom did. It was just a way to get the message across to Mom, there was really no way he would give up on this case, especially after getting that big of a clue."

"And getting closer to catching these guys," Frank continued. Frank nodded at Joe. "Besides, we would have done the same ourselves. I guess we were still reeling from our close encounter at the Pollitt place that we didn't even think about it." Joe nodded, that's definitely the reason why he didn't think of it.

"Alright then, so this thing is almost finished!" cheered Slim.

Chet then sidled over to Frank. "So, um, when are you going to create your own little code?"

Frank narrowed his eyes, catching the hint. "Well, some time in the future, Joe and I are going to have a talk about it." He put extra emphasis when he said Joe.

Chet waggled his eyebrows. "Uh-huh."

"Chet!" The others chuckled. "Nancy might come up with her own code," continued Frank.

"With her friends?" asked Phil a little too hopefully.

Frank blinked. "Uh . . ."

"Come on man, Nancy's gotta know some cute girls," said Tony.

"Hey, let's worry about that after we've solved this mystery?" said Joe.

"I know, man," said Chet, "but you can't think straight if you're too worried either."

The boys glanced at each of their friends and smiled. Frank chuckled. "You're right Chet. Thanks, you guys."

Joe clapped Chet on the back. "Yeah, thanks man, didn't seem like it at first."
Biff shrugged. "Of course not, we talked about it on the way over here."

"And after all you've done for us, it's the least we could do," said Tony.

Tears filled Joe's eyes. "You guys are the greatest friends."

Jerry shrugged. "We do have your prime example to look up to."

Frank snorted. "We're not the best."