Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Charlotte POV

“Liam!” I called, running up to the group.

I was weak. I ran a few steps and I felt dizzy. I had not noticed that Caine was behind me. He steadied me, his hands on either side of my waist.

I got distracted by him. As soon as his hands touched me, I felt the electricity between us. Caine’s green eyes were on me, gazing—his face soft.

“Are you okay?” Caine asked in a low voice.

I nodded and pulled away from him. Caine reluctantly let me go. He didn’t move his eyes from me, and he was frowning. “Liam is right. You feel too light.”

“Are you saying I was fat before?” I told him, snappily.

Caine smiled all of a sudden, and his face lit up. He shook his head. “We could go get you something to eat,” he said. “We could go out into town, eat something. Liam can come along with us too—Dylan also, if you want.”

I frowned at his suggestion. Caine wanting for Alpha Dylan to grab dinner with us was not out of the ordinary, mainly because they were cool with each other. If he wanted Liam to tag along, I knew that was for my benefit.

As soon as I thought about Liam, I realized that despite all of the noise in the room, I had gotten distracted with Caine and forgotten that Liam was beating the crap out of Adam.

I pulled away from Caine and broke into the little circle that was surrounding Liam and Adam. It wasn’t too hard, they all moved out of the way when they saw me coming. I did not miss that they were all looking at me worriedly.

“Liam, stop!” I snapped.

He did. He looked up at me, a frown on his face. “I’m done, Charlie. I wasn’t going to kill him, just teach him a lesson,” he said, getting up.

Liam’s hands and knuckles were bloody and bruised. Beating up another shifter would do that to you. The blood though, all belonged to Adam. He was in the floor, groaning. Fortunately, he had not passed out. That did not mean he didn’t look like crap—he did. His face was bruised and swollen already. One of his eyes was closed shut. He kept grabbing his stomach, and I had no doubt he had some cracked ribs. Despite how bad he looked, I could tell Liam had taken it easy.

I had seen Liam fight enough times to know that what he had done to Adam was meant to leave him in pain, not to leave lasting damage.

I kneeled next to Adam, and I was glad that no one stopped me. The little circle started breaking apart, although they were still looking at Adam and hanging out in the open space.

As soon as Liam stepped away, I noticed that Lesley was at his side. I had no idea what was going on there. The last time I had seen them together, it had not been pretty and Lesley had been avoiding Liam like the plague.

Alpha Dylan was standing beside Caine. They were talking, which was a good thing. I didn’t want them angry at each other. Caine and I had our problems, serious now more than ever, but that didn’t mean I wanted him to start picking fights with everyone.

I couldn’t even move Adam to sit up. He was of no help. He was groaning and complaining. His eye that wasn’t closed off was red. He was bleeding from his mouth and his nose.

“Is somebody going to help, or what?” I growled.

Suddenly I was surrounded by Macon, Victor, and Peter—who I had not seen in a long time. He must’ve been there because of Liam. I smiled up at him. I was feeling miserable, but it was good to see people I felt familiar with.