|40|

"Okay! In 5, 6, 7, 8! 1, 2, 3, 4..."

Lisa's scrutinizing eyes go over with the whole flow of the cotillion routine. They were already quite prepared, just perfecting and cleaning the messy parts of the steps especially when it comes to where the dancers form two circles. The girls moved one step to the right and with that came their exchanging of partners.

Once she saw Jennie getting partnered up with Jinwoo, it felt like she was intruding the cousins' privacy. She met Chaeyoung's eyes for a second as she was dancing with Seungyoon. Then her gaze settled on Jisoo who was staring after Jennie and Jinwoo's way with longing. She can tell something was up between the three but she kept her mouth shut. There was no need to point it out.

Not when her Jennie unnie seems too easy to snap at any moment.

"Just listen, okay?" Jinwoo started in a hushed tone for others not to hear them. "It's not what you think it is. We weren't doing anything wrong. Jisoo and I--"

"Yeah. I heard you, oppa. It's not wrong." Jennie cut him off as they waltzed together. "You're obviously just spending time with the girl you like and I was stupid to go butting in, right?"

"We were spending time but it's not like we would have done something else after that."

"Because I've disturbed you?"

"Jennie--"

"If you two really want to continue your relationship, you could've said so. I wouldn't have acted like a cockblock and stopped you minutes away before you start getting down--"

"That's enough, Jennie!"

Jinwoo's loud voice echoed on the dance floor, getting all attention from their peers. He let go of his cousin already and the younger girl sported a face with mild surprise. Yet Jinwoo could tell... seeing him lose his nerves with her was something Jennie expected out of him and their talk.

Their friends locked gazes before they settled on the pair. They had felt the strange vibe between the once too close and unbreakable bond. Jisoo stopped dancing and everyone else's had done the same. The music continued playing but even with that on, they could tell the atmosphere was plain awkward.

"You're crossing the line, young lady."

"Me? The one crossing the line now?" Jennie smiled and dusted his shoulder as if it wasn't spotless, prompting her to come closer. "You don't know what you're talking about. Besides, I'm only having my fun with all this."

"And you do? Do you even know how you're acting like a cranky child whose toy got stolen away? This is not fun in any way."

The older one's voice remained resilient despite Jennie's taunting and their obvious audience in the room. He'd want nothing but to wipe off that smirk and the undeniably mask his cousin chose to wear like sweet perfume she favored to use everyday if she wanted to. But Jennie never really liked the use of such scent and if it was worn... it would've been by force and for a purpose.

Jisoo bit her lip as she had long pulled away from Bobby's hold. She would have to cross three pairs to get to Jennie and Jinwoo but she took the risk. It's not like she was going to eavesdrop just because they talked in low voices earlier but it wasn't like the cousins even cared to be subtle in their heated argument. She knew she had a part in all these and Jinwoo was just trying to resolve what she should've been putting much effort to as well.

Just as she had gotten closer to them, Jennie caught sight of her in her peripheral vision. The corner of her lips tugged up a bit but she didn't acknowledge her. Her attention was still set at her cousin.