S I X T E E N

The next couple of days passed by normally, although the preparation for the school festival placed an extra element of both stress and excitement on the students. Eri was still being monitored in the hospital, but she could go out and explore if she was accompanied by Shota, although Lemillion - Mirio Togata - was often with them, taking on even more of a dad-like role than the man who was supposed to be her caretaker.

But at the end of the day, she slept at the hospital, watched over by nurses. Shota kept his phone on at all times in the case that he wasn't with her and they needed him, but the likelihood of her quirk going berserk and her losing control of it was not very likely at the moment.

Shota and Sumire had developed a relationship of teasing each other and bickering playfully, full of smirks and toothy grins of pride and ending with laughter. Eri found it amusing and fun, and her caretaker hardly visited her without the silver-haired woman's company or voice on the phone. She knew there was no bitterness or hatred between them, and this was all fun and games and how these two people showed that they really cared for each other. It also showed how close they were becoming.

Whenever the disgruntled teacher had to complete some paperwork for her, he would put a sticky-note on top that read "for the babysitter," knowing it would strike a nerve with her. Alternatively, whenever she would receive such paperwork, she would text him "asshole" to let him know that she got his papers as well as the friendly note.

Despite the banter, she would bring him leftovers when she cooked, noticing that when she didn't, he would always get take-out. According to her, that was no way to eat. Take-out was great some of the time, but not all of the time.

Yet, her food become something the man looked forward to and hoped to find sitting outside his door. He had no right to her cooking, yet in her kindness she would offer him some of the meals she made without saying a word.

She was the weirdest friend he had, but a friend nonetheless. He cared about her just as much as she cared about him, if not more, but he didn't know how to show it but in relentlessly teasing her and seeking to get a rise out of her. He often quietly cursed himself for dealing with his compassion and, quite frankly, "crush" on her in such a childish and pathetic way.

But he'd be there if she needed him, and she was very confident in that.

Sumire went to bed thirty minutes earlier than normal, eager to get extra sleep before the last rush of the school festival, knowing that the students and teachers would be flooding her with documents, fees, and propositions the last day of preparation before the festival would take place. She hated the last-minute things, but they needed to get done so that U.A. would be safe and the school festival would not face any legal or political issues, which was quite common with such a revered school.

She fell asleep quickly and easily, Echo resting at her side. Their gentle breathing was the only thing that could be heard in the dark room as the night hours ticked on. Rain began to trickle down her window, but it wasn't enough to wake her.

Then the lighting began, flashing far enough in the distance that the thunder was soft and rolling, but the light flashed through her blinds, casting sharp shadows across her wall and startling the sensitive cat awake.

As the storm inched closer, the thunder grew louder, more booming and crisper than the low, gentle rolls of the early developments. Matching its volume, Echo shrunk into a corner and arched her back, her black fur standing on end as she anxiously watched over her human. A deep growl emerged from her throat, but not loud enough to wake the girl.

In the same instant, lightning flashed, and thunder clapped as though it was in the middle of the room with them, startling Sumire to consciousness.