Chapter Twenty-Nine: Romance Revenge

A/N: this is becoming a thing. So, first day of class is today, I just went to my first on but I have like five more today. Wish a college student luck! Vote and comment, especially comment, I love reading them so much! Have a great day!

When I got home that night, no one was home. I already knew Alaric had attacked himself to throw suspicion off, landing himself in the hospital for the night. Sighing, I quietly went around the house, setting up a security system as efficiently and as soundlessly as possible. 

I had thought of everything; motion sensors, hidden cameras, recording devices, even sensors on every door and window in the house. Anyone coming in or out and I would get a notification. I had cameras on all of our stashes of weapons and made a mental note to go out to the lake house at my earliest convenience to set up a similar system there. 

All of it went directly to my phone. 

The best way to deal with a psychopath was to be as cunning as they were, now I would know all his moves before he even considered making them. All I had to do was get a list of the council members, and I had just the idea for that. 

My next stop was to Mayor Lockwoods house that night. I had called ahead and informed her I wanted to meet up, so the lights were all on when I approached her door late that night. "Europa," Tyler's mom greeted me with a smile, shaking my hand. 

"Mayor Lockwood, it is an absolute pleasure to meet with you," I said with a smile. 

I had every intention of getting what I wanted tonight. 

Looking around, Carol stepped aside. "Should we continue this conversation inside?" She asked, gesturing her invitation to her home. 

Smart. 

"I was thinking exactly the same thing," I told her with a smile, stepping into the house and following her to the parlor. "Back before I left Mystic Falls, I'm sure you are aware that I was approached about taking a seat on the council." 

Carol had nodded, sipping her wine as she stared at me, "Yes, I do remember that. I also remember you showed distain for the idea. Of course, we would love an actual Gilbert on the council, if you are reconsidering." 

Tracing my finger on my wine glass, I smiled at her, "As it happens, I am. Of course, I do not intend to take Alaric's place. He is a well-seasoned vampire hunter after all and with our luck in recent years... I think it would be prudent to keep his insight." I lifted my glass and took a sip. The Lockwoods had the good stuff alright, no wonder Mason's parties were such a hit. "But, I think in light of recent events, my parents might have been on the right track with the council. With my sister involved so centrally to everything, I find it hard to stay informed and balance my job, being on the council could mend some of my issues." 

Of course, I knew the council spot wasn't just mine. I needed to give a good reason, and I had a plethora to choose from. "In exchange, I'm sure I could provide some extra funding where needed. I'm sure you are well aware of my IQ, seeing as my parents were not quite people, having a genius around can be useful. My being out of Mystic Falls gives me a wide network of people I can call on for favors. I Owe You's if you will." 

A smile took over Carol's face and I knew I had her where I wanted her. Time for the home run. "I can also help you and Liz protect Caroline and Tyler from more die-hard council members. My parents ran among that group, my voice can have an impact there." 

It was a done deal. 

Carol and I cheered to a new friendship and better business and I was out of the house before even half an hour was up.