Chapter 13: Sounds of War and Carnage

A/N: Thank you again kabkwmx for the votes again :)

Short chapter this time round!

------------------------

"Lass, get out of there!!"

Su Chen heard the growls from Old Lu as chaos raged throughout the village.

Women were grabbing children while men she did not recognise were escorting them. Her eyes widened at the sight but quickly noticed that the bands on their arms had a Wolf insignia.

The women and elderly seemed nervous but looked relatively calm as if this had always happened before while following the Silver Wolf members in an orderly manner.

Yet at her area where the mock kitchen was, men in masks were already fighting each other and swinging their swords recklessly without regard for those around them. Like her.

"Lass!!"

Old Lu's shouts were lost amongst the angry shouts and yells that revebrated throughout the scene of war. She did not dare to look and observe the fight ongoing around her. She could barely see much amidst the smoke. Great iron pots were overturned as the fight grew more vicious amongst the Silver Wolf members and the masked black-clad men.

Su Chen kept her body low as she hid behind an overturned table.

Perhaps if she stayed still, she could still escape with her life intact. Yet, life was unpredictable. Right when she had made the resolution to meld into the table, an axe was headed towards her way.

She backed away from the table in haste to see the axe wedging itself into the wood with a force so great it cracked the table in the middle, no longer making the table a good hiding spot. She cursed the thrower and all nine generations of his family.

She breathed shallowly, the smoke causing her to feel dizzy. Her brain was on overdrive trying to think of how to escape her predicament when she caught a glimpse of a fallen iron pot near her.

She gritted her teeth. Time to use her short small body to actually save her life.

She never thought that being short would actually bring her a benefit one day.

Grabbing the handles, she quickly tried to lift the pot up, got in and huddled inside, hoping that she looked inconspicuous.

She trembled slightly as porridge dripped onto her hair with each passing second. No matter how much she loved food, she thinks she will probably pass on eating congee for a while.

The shouts around her continued. There were moments where the iron pot would rattle from sudden impact, and she would tremble further, worried about her safety.

To be in this pitiable situation because of that pervert was really too much!!

Her teeth started to chatter as the sounds and shouts of the attacks outside seem to draw closer to her.

Had she known that she would have ended up in this state, she would have probably forgone this entire mission itself. But at the thought of her mother's keepsake medallion that was given to her by the Empress as the only memento of her mother, she clenched her teeth in anger and determination.

She needed to survive.

Survive and retrieve it back.

It seemed to be a long while before the sounds of war around her ceased.

Suddenly, Su Chen realised that there was no sounds at all around her. Silence.

Did the bandits win? Were they looking through the wreckage for any survivors?

Or did the Silver Wolf members succeed in defeating then.

Worry gnawed at her but she didn't dare to lift her pot and check. She simply waited for a while when all ot a sudden, the pot was lifted up.