第15章:珍しい

CHAPTER 15: Rare

Oikawa glanced at the girl walking beside him. Sorano had an expressionless face put up while she strode quietly. Since when did they start going back and forth the pub together? He doesn't even work there. Though he had to admit it feels nice to walk with someone at night under the starry sky.

'Oikawa-san,' suddenly Sorano spoke. Oikawa turned to her. 'Can we take a taxi?'

'Huh?' Oikawa frowned. 'You're not the type to...' he trailed off when he realized how pale she looked.

Sorano was already going through her phone to call for a ride then moved to a bench not far from them. 'Let's sit there as we wait.' She said and walked off.

Oikawa quickly trailed after her and sat. 'Are you okay? Your face is as white as paper.' He asked worriedly.

Sorano chuckled. 'I'm okay, maybe it's because of the moonlight.'

The lad wasn't convinced but he kept quiet, knowing Sorano wouldn't admit about not feeling well. She clearly looked tired but was trying to put up a strong front. Oikawa was about to touch her forehead with his hand but Sorano suddenly stood.

'It's here, let's go.' She said quite cheerfully and entered the car. Oikawa sighed and went in. The car sped off towards Sorano's place (Oikawa convinced Sorano that it's okay to send her first). As soon as the driver drove, Sorano fell into a deep sleep.

He stared at her sleeping face. Her breathing was rushed and her hair was a little messy. She was slightly frowning and it made Oikawa smile when he saw that she was sitting cross-legged. He leaned against the seat but his head never turned away from her. It was entertaining to stare at her sleeping form.

Then all of a sudden, his heart fluttered. He was startled by the weird sensation he was feeling as of then and immediately looked away, averting his gaze towards the outside world instead. His heart thumped against his chest like a wild animal trying to escape from a cage.

Oikawa touched his face and gritted his teeth. Why was he flustered? Why was he embarrassed? He couldn't answer his own questions and it made him irritated. He frowned at the restlessness he was feeling and tried to keep calm. He hated it.

The driver glanced at Sorano from his rearview mirror then turned his body to Oikawa, who wasn't aware that the car has stopped. 'Sir, we're here.' He said.

Oikawa snapped out of his thoughts and nodded. He tapped on Sorano's shoulder but she was fast asleep. 'Sorano-chan...' he whispered, shaking her a bit. It was to no avail, she didn't even stir. Oikawa saw the driver checking his wristwatch anxiously so he decided to drag Sorano out.

He pulled Sorano's hand and her head fell onto his shoulder. Oikawa flinched, his breath stuck in his throat. He gently placed her head back against the seat's headrest and quickly got out of the car to go to the other side of the door where Sorano was the closest. He then finally had her on his back after a long minute of struggling.

'You can go. I'll walk home instead. Thank you.' Oikawa told the driver and gave him his money. The car went away without delay and Oikawa climbed up to the second floor of the apartment, which is also the highest floor. He remembered her apartment number and knocked on the door exactly three times.

It was nearing 3.30am he was afraid her friend wouldn't be awake. He knocked again, this time louder, hoping someone would open the door because apparently Sorano was quite heavy for Oikawa's precious back and he couldn't bear having her close to him at the moment.

He heard the door being unlocked from the inside and he thanked God silently. Her black-haired friend, whom he recognized was the former manager of Karasuno, Shimizu Kiyoko stood at the door in her PJs.