Mad City Part One

"When I'm in the houseGuess what happensAt the end it always turns outto be empty and demolished (I killed it)"

-Mad City by NCT 127

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

We walk out of the bedroom into a hallway and eventually down a flight of stairs. The staircase looked like the ones you see in movies where descends into a swirling pattern. It wasn't a grand staircase, but it still reeked of opulence. Despite walking for almost ten minutes throughout the house, I had still not seen a single other living soul within the house. The lavish staircase led us down to what I could only infer was the estate's wine cellar.

The walls were either all made of wood or stone. Although it was extremely classy, it almost resembled the dungeons you would imagine as a kid reading bedtime stories. There were shelves upon shelves, fully stocked with wines and other liquors of every color. I noticed numbers adorning each shelve insinuating which year each bottle came from. I had unknowingly started playing a game with myself where I tried to spot the oldest bottle I could. I had just laid my eyes on a bottle filled with an amber liquid from 1903.

"I see you have great taste." Lucas said as he reached over for the bottle.

"It's a Chinese liquor called Baijiu. Normally Baijiu is clear, but this bottle is 116 years old, so the fermentation process has gone on for much longer than most other bottles." Lucas explained.

"Sadly, this is the only bottle that is off limits for tonight." He sighed putting the bottle back on the shelf.

"Why?" I asked. "I mean, not that I want to drink it, it's just that I'm curious... I mean not that I wouldn't want to drink it, I'm sure that it is a great liquor. No, I mean the best liquor."

Lucas starts to chuckle as I metaphorically try my best to stick my foot into my mouth.

"Y/N, I know what you are trying to say. You should relax more."

He walks over to a bottle of already opened gin and removes the cork letting out a popping sound similar to that of a new bottle. Then he walks over to a new shelf and grabs an unopened vodka bottle. I watch him walk over to a small bar in the corner of the room, waiting for a response to my earlier question.

Lucas looks up at me and as if he was reading my mind, he speaks.

"I'll tell you the story behind that bottle on one condition."

I tilt my head expectantly.

"Do you know how to make a vodka martini and a gin and tonic?"

My brows furrow at the sudden change of topic and Lucas lets out a hearty laugh.

"If you mix the drinks, I'll tell you the story."

I walk up to join him at the bar and look down at the ingredients at the bar. Although I don't know the exact recipe for a vodka martini, I reason that the ingredients Lucas set on the table that aren't featured in a gin and tonic must probably go into a vodka martini.

"Okay. Deal." I agree.

"Good!" Lucas beams. "I'm personally not in the mood for a gin and tonic myself, but I believe that you'll enjoy this gin immensely."

As I get started making the vodka martini, Lucas begins to tell me about the bottle of Baijiu.

"Although I have been living in South Korea since 2015, I'm actually from Hong Kong."

"So, you're Chinese?" I was surprised that this man was actually despite his Korean skills being so advanced.

"Kind of. My Father is from Hong Kong and my mother is Thai." He continued.

"Sadly, my mother left our family when I was at a very young age."

"Why? If you don't mind me asking" I pressed.

"Well you see, my father was an established member of the Chinese mafia and she just couldn't handle the violence that came with his lifestyle, so she ran away, leaving me to be raised by him alone."

A gasp escaped my lips.

A mafia member? Is that where all of this wealth came from?

Lucas continued. "Yes, he was a member of NCT 116, the subgroup of NCT based in Hong Kong. Actually, he was the leader of the subgroup."

I was so captivated by Lucas' story that I hadn't realized that I had accidentally poured gin into his vodka tonic instead of vodka. In a last-ditch effort to resolve my mistake, I poured and extra short of vodka into the mixture.

After pouring the drink into a traditional style martini glass, I handed the drink to Lucas, who was too into his own story to notice the cocktails altered recipe.

After taking an enthusiastic swig of his drink, Lucas continued his story while I decided to start on the gin and tonic.

"My father raised me to take over the family business. Despite not wanting anything to do with the mafia, due to it being the reason my mother abandoned me, I did everything my father asked of me. I studied business, I learned how to fight, I made personal relationships with many of our benefactors. My father did everything in his power to make sure that I knew everything I needed to know about even the tiniest details that caused his business to run smoothly." Lucas looked at me and paused.

After looking at me for a few moments, and me staring back at him, he quickly finished his drink.

"I think that that was the best... hiccup...martini I have ever had. Would you make me another? After you finish making your own drink of course"

I look down at the glass that I had just poured tonic water into. I hadn't added the gin yet, but I realized that probably shouldn't be drinking anything since I still wasn't sure if Lucas was going to allow me to stay the night and I really didn't want to be intoxicated while out on the streets.

I start making Lucas another vodka/gin martini without telling him about my decision to sober up. My reasoning being that I did not want to be rude and outwardly deny his drink offering.

"Where was I? Hiccup...Ahh yes. So, everything was going great until one day a job went wrong. NCT 116 and NCT 127's main insiders were teaming up for a gun smuggling job. The name of the operation was NCT U. Normally this type of thing would be just a routine job for NCT116, but this time we were smuggling twice our usual supply and we were smuggling from Hong Kong into Seoul, which made things a little more risky, hence the team up."

I handed Lucas the new vodka/gin martini and he clinked his booze filled glass with my tonic water filled one.

"I don't know why I'm telling you all of this." He chuckles.

"I normally don't share this kind of information with my guests" Lucas admits, as we cheers our two glasses.

I look down at my drink wondering the same thing. For some reason I wasn't scared of Lucas despite his past ties to the mafia, the possibility that he still was tied to them made me a little nervous, but the kindness that he had been showing me this evening almost completely erased my worries.

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

A/n: And so the flashback continues...... I'll try to end it in the next chapter. Please think of this as a part 1.