6.

Hazel pressed her lips together against a smile and kept her eyes forward.

"I know, dude, it was brutal. I would bet money that he's winning the championship this year," Jake Bishop said reverently.

"It's no wonder they call him the Devil. I mean, did you see that smile on his face after Mickey got one hit in? It was deadly, man."

"I would do anything to get five minutes with Hawkins, just to talk to him you know? Get inside his head. My birthday is coming up, maybe my parents could set something up."

Hazel rolled her eyes up and sighed a little. She turned around and looked at Jake.

"Maybe I can help you out," she said. He sent a glance her way and straightened.

"Hazel, hey. Help me out with what?" he asked with a flirty smile.

"The five minutes with Hawk. I happen to have it on good authority he's coming here tomorrow and staying for a few days."

Jake's eyes widened.

"No, way. Why would he come here? He doesn't have a fight here or anything."

"No, he's visiting."

"Who?"

She hesitated and bit her lip.

"Uh, me."

Jake's expression fell and a mocking smile tilted up his lips.

"All right, Hazel. Very funny. Is he even visiting?"

Hazel quirked an eyebrow.

"Yeah, he'll be staying at a hotel about five minutes from here.

Jake looked at her with a measuring gaze, like he wasn't sure whether or not to believe her. He then confirmed this glance when he said, "I don't know whether or not to believe you."

Hazel shrugged.

"Whatever, I don't really care. I just figured I'd do you a solid since your birthday is coming up."

A hint of excitement leaked into Jake's skeptical expression.

"Okay, I'll bite. How do you know Hawkins?"

Hazel rubbed her index finger over her eyebrow and let out a deep sigh.

"That's a rather long story," she muttered.

"Shorten it," Jake shot back with zero hesitation.

She chuckled and shrugged.

"All right, uh, so we met-"

The teacher walked into the classroom and Hazel's lips quirked up.

"How about this. I still have the invitation to the party you're throwing. I wasn't really planning on going, no offense, you're a cool dude but parties are not my thing, but I'll stop by, bring Hawk."

He nodded with his jaw open and she offered him another smile before turning around.

She pulled out her phone and hid it on her lap.

Hazel: Wanna go to a party tmrw night?

Hawk: Baby, if you wanna show me off all you gotta do is ask ;)

Hazel: Cute. You're actually a b-day present for a friend of mine.

Hawk: ...you're pimping me out?

Hazel: NO! No. Not a girl.

Hawk: You're friends with a guy?

Hazel: Um...yeah. Several, in fact.