Chapter 17

"What's wrong hon? You haven't been yourself all day." Eva touched my shoulder gently as I gazed listlessly at the racks of dresses.

I turned to Eva hesitantly. "Damon. Did he- how many were there before me?"

She sighed. "I won't lie. There were a lot. But he loves you now; don't you forget it."

I blinked back tears, wanting to shout at her that NO, he didn't love me, he never had, and he never will.

"Sometimes it doesn't feel like he does." I held my breath, willing myself not to cry.

Eva smiled gently at me. "Come on, sweetie, walk with me." I followed her outside, walking next to her. "Do you know how Damon was a year ago? It was party after party every weekend. 14 hours of work on the weekdays."

I sighed. This wasn't making me feel any better. That had only changed to match his image of a perfect fiancé.

"Liv, I'm his mother and I haven't EVER seen him smile as much as when he's with you, not even with Gabe or Delaney."

I stopped short. "Really?" Could it be true? That maybe, just maybe, he loved me back. Or at least that he cares about me.

"Really." She nodded. With my worries put to rest, I was able to enjoy the rest of the shopping trip.

I found the most gorgeous dress. I fell in love with it the second I saw it. When Eva saw me looking at it, she insisted I try it on. It was perfect. It was made of white lace, with an A line skirt. It made me wish there was a wedding - just so I could wear the dress. I checked the price, happy to find that it was only $430. For a wedding dress, that was amazing. And most importantly, it had pockets!

"That's it, you're getting that dress," Eva declared.

I immediately began shaking my head. "It's too early," I protested.

She just laughed. "Honey, it's perfect for you. If you don't get it, I will."

"Don't you dare let my boy see this dress before the wedding. Hide it in the back of your closet for the next two years if you have to," Eva warned me over lunch.

I giggled a little. "I doubt he wants to see it that bad."

She smiled slightly. "The Blackwood men always get what they want. You should have seen me and Max when we first met. He tried to bribe me! They think their money can get them anything they want." She shook her head disapprovingly.

I tensed at the mention of money. "Eva, I know I don't exactly come from a wealthy background, but I hope you know that I would never hurt Damon for his money." I felt like a liar saying that. Wasn't I technically using him for his money?

She pulled me into a motherly hug. "Oh honey I know you wouldn't. Don't worry, I wasn't exactly born rich either. I wanted nothing to do with Max when I first met him and his stupid money." I stared at her longingly as she daydreamed. If only Damon loved me the way Max loved Eva.