Chapter 26

(2 months later)

I wiped my forehead from the humid August air. Damon and I were supposed to go cake tasting today, and Eva wanted us to visit a wedding venue as well. Damon and I didn't have the heart to disappoint her.

I dragged my feet up to our room. I had been planning on getting changed, but the bed looked so comfy. I flopped down on it as I heard Damon call my name.

"I don't wanna," I shouted back, cuddling with the giant teddy bear he had won me a few weeks ago.

I heard him climb up the stairs and quickly pretended to be asleep, trying to control my giggles. I felt so free the past few days, I didn't know why.

"Liv, what're you doing?" Damon asked, amused.

I rolled around, still holding the teddy bear. I pouted up at him. "Cuddling with my teddy bear, who's a much better cuddler than you," I stuck my tongue out at him.

Without thinking, Damon shot back a reply. "Don't say that unless you want me to show you what an amazing cuddler I am."

I stilled on the bed. Was this flirting? I decided I was overthinking and stuck my tongue out at him again. "You wish."

He grinned wickedly. "Don't say I didn't warn you." With a war cry, he jumped on top of me, careful not to crush me under his weight.

"No, what are you doing to Mr. Snuggles," I let out a dramatic cry as he threw my precious teddy bear on the floor.

He wrapped his arms around me. "I'm not letting you go until you admit I'm the bestest cuddler in the world."

I gave him a defiant shake of my head. "Mr. Snuggles will always be better."

He rolled over so he was straddling me. "Well now you also have to say that Damon is the sexiest man alive and your favorite person in the world."

He began tickling me, and I couldn't hold back my laughs. "Okay, okay, I'll say it," I said, tears rolling down my cheek. Don't blame me, I was super ticklish.

"You're the bestest cuddler in the world." I paused, and he threatened to started tickling me again.

I peeked up at him from under my eyelashes. "You're the sexiest man alive and my favorite person," I added a dramatic pitch to my voice.

Damon smiled, satisfied. Then, I quickly cut in again. "But I'll always love Mr. Snuggles more."

I tried wriggling out from under him, but it turns out my plan wasn't as flawless as I originally thought. I let out a shriek as Damon continued his tickling tirade. "Okay, okay, I was kidding!" I paused again. "Damon you're my most favorite person, and Mr. Snuggles has nothing on you."

A sexy grin formed on his face as he looked at me. Suddenly, the atmosphere grew tense as his eyes flicked to my lips.

I swallowed nervously and couldn't stop myself from staring at his lips. He leaned down a little hesitantly, before pressing his lips on mine. I felt his tongue pushing against my lips, and I opened my mouth a little.

He pulled me up a little, until he was holding me against the headboard. His hands began roaming under my shirt, and I had a flashback to our cruise. He kissed my sweet spot, and I couldn't stop myself from crying out.

He paused, but only to rip my shirt off my body. I only had a few seconds to gape at my now shredded shirt before he pulled me back to him. I didn't even think that was possible. I pulled away and made him take his shirt off. As he straddled me, I couldn't help running my hands over his toned abs.

He pressed another soft kiss on my neck and I shuddered. "Olivia. My beautiful Liv," he mumbled under his breath. I smiled, running my hands through his hair.

Before I even knew what was happening, both our pants were off. I looked down, unsure about what to do. I had never done this before, but...but I wanted to. For him.

He brought me back up to eye level, reassuring me. "We don't have to, Liv."

I shook my head. "I want to."

He looked at me uncertainly, trying to make sure I actually did. To prove my point, I leaned in and kissed him. He kissed back and soon we were making out again.

"Liv," he groaned as I pressed my body against his.

"I-I love you Damon," I muttered as he kissed me harder.

It was like I had dropped a bomb. He jumped away from me as if I had a disease. "Wh-what?" He stammered. He stood up and began to pace across the room. "No, you don't. You don't." He seemed to be trying to convince himself.

I tried to hold back tears at the blatant rejection. Damn me and my stupid mouth. There was no getting around this one. It was going to be a messy confrontation. "I do, Damon. I love you! Why do you think I was so sure just now?"

He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. "It was just sex."

"Just sex?" I glared at him. "Is that how you feel?"

"Yes- no- I don't know. I need some air. I can't think in here." He grabbed his clothes. And he walked out. He just walked out and left me there.

I let my tears flow freely. I guess I knew where he stood now. I choked back my sobs, going into the bathroom. I looked in the mirror, seeing for the first time how pathetic I'd become. So focused on one man, I'd forgotten everything else. I couldn't do this anymore, I was hurting myself and I was a complete mess.

I grabbed a few essentials and threw on an old shirt and a pair of shorts. Yanking the ring off my fingers, I admired it for the last time before placing it on Damon's nightstand. Stepping into the elevator, I looked around the penthouse one last time, saying my final goodbyes. Not just to the house, but to Laney, Gabe, and most of all, Damon.

"Ash," I sobbed over the phone, calling the only person I could right now.

"What's wrong Liv," she immediately asked.

"I'm coming home," I simply told her.

She understood. Maybe not everything that had happened, but she knew I didn't want to talk about it and that I would tell her in my own time. "Of course, Liv. You always have a home here." She reassured me.

~~~

PLOT TWIST! Any feedback?