Chapter Four - Past

Past

Victoria

Tyler was a liar.

I think there was no other way to justify his behavior as he lied twice after that about the ice-hockey practice. What I didn't understand is why he had to tell me lies? He'd already told me that he wanted me to study alone with him and yet I found him making up outrageous stories to get me to come to his house.

The third week when Tyler invited me to his house for the study date, I didn't turn up.

I guess that was the first time that I'd stood Tyler up for something. He needed to understand that I didn't like liars, especially when it was him. Archer was actually taking this much better than I and said that there was no way one could understand how Tyler's mind worked. He suspected that Tyler liked me back, and that could be the reason why he didn't want Archer to join us.

Today was Monday, Archer and I called it Doom-day. The car maneuvered into the school parking lot, my brother parked the car into an empty space and we saw Tyler's Royal blue Corvette parked in his usual VIP space.

Yeah, you heard me.

Some people here actually paid yearly for a VIP parking spot. Tyler obviously had the best space in the entire Cold-Bay High school.

"Oh look, Hazel forgot her lunch-Box in the car." Archer groaned, looking heavenward.

I sighed. "I'll go to the A-wing and drop it off."

Archer shook his head, "you go on ahead. I'll drop the lunch."

Now I had to walk the hallway alone, without my brother as a shield. That only meant one thing. Tyler would catch up to me, and then he would demand answers for not showing up at his house on Saturday.

Thankfully, there was no sign of Tyler. My first class was Creative Writing, and I knew Tyler was taking Advanced Mathematics. I'd heard that no one in his class could beat Tyler at oral math, which didn't surprise me. He was a guy who had all the qualities of a jock but was still a geek underneath all those layers. In fact, I'd seen him hang out more with his nerdy friends rather than the entire ice-hockey team.

The day dragged on slowly. The sky was a shade of inky blue when we'd arrived in the morning, it was almost mid-day now and it had blended into a shade of grey which only indicated towards a heavy rain. The weather settled me into an immediate melancholy. I didn't know why I just found the rainy weather depressing.

I was making my way towards English class when I felt a light tap on my head. I turned around to find Tyler walking beside me.

"Hey shorty," He called out to me.

I hated when he called me that. "I'm not that short," I argued.

"Your height barely comes till my chest." He pointed.

"That's because I'm not wearing heels today. If I did, I'd reach your face."

"Prove it. Wear your heels next time and if your lips touch mine, I'll stop calling you shorty." He grinned.

I rolled my eyes at him, but actually, my heart was going to leap out of my chest. I knew not to take anything coming from Tyler's mouth seriously, and yet that statement seemed more like an open invitation to kiss him rather than just plain old teasing.

"Friends don't kiss," I said as I gave him a sideways hit with the book I was holding in my hand.

"Hmm...well, we gotta do something about that."