thirty-three

"So I've heard you're kind of a dick," said Rosie conversationally, putting the kettle on. Jared gulped, hearing Isaac cackling behind him.

    "He's alright really," Isaac told her, coming up and throwing a casual arm around Jared's shoulders. "Aren't you J?"

     A smirk.

    "You're evil," whispered Jared, trying not to piss himself because of Isaac's terrifying sister.

    "Tea?" Rosie asked. She turned round with an innocent – but somehow still disconcerting - smile (something that seemed to be a Hanly gift).

    "Uh. Yes. Please," stumbled Jared, all his usual charm and confidence deserting him. Isaac started laughing so hard that he had to lean his face into Jared's shoulder just to stay upright. For some reason that was vaguely comforting and Jared mustered up enough bravery to ask, "You're at Sheffield, right?"

    "Yep," said Rosie, and then just stared unsmiling at him till he dropped his eyes to the floor. She laughed then, and turned to open a cupboard. "I've so missed scaring your friends Zac. Just normal tea, Jared, or are you some pretentious shit who prefers, like, gogi berry and mint leaf fusion or something?"

    "Er, normal's fine. Thanks."

    "I'll have the pretentious gogi berry stuff please," piped up Isaac, leaving Jared's shoulder to get some mugs from the cupboard. Rosie pulled him towards her to ruffle his hair and he stuck his tongue out, stupidly childish and stupidly endearing.

    "How's Joseph?" asked Rosie as she poured the water. Isaac shrugged, leaning lazily against the sideboard.

    "He's good. I don't see him that much to be honest. I think Mam might think I'm infectiously sinful."

    "Well, Child No3's her last chance at perfection I guess. Third time lucky maybe?"

     Isaac grinned.

    "You saying we're not perfection, Nosy?"  

    "I'm pretty sure Mam thinks we're the Devil's agents, Zac. I mean. At least you're still allowed in the house."

    "Because I'm only seventeen!"

    "Yeah well. I have to sneak in when they're out and you know, drink all their tea on the sly."

    "Have extra of that gogi berry one. It's super expensive."

     Rosie burst out laughing. Jared felt utterly out of his depth, eyes flitting from Rosie to Isaac and back again as he tried to make sense of the conversation. Rosie seemed to be ignoring his presence completely, but Isaac's eyes would flicker to him now and again with a reassuring smile that seemed to say I don't mind you hearing this, okay. This is me letting you in.

     "Dad wouldn't mind you coming here," Isaac said after a moment, and Rosie shrugged.

    "Dad's a complete pushover for Mam, Zac. You know that. He'd never go against her."

--------o--------

     True to Isaac's prediction, when Jared got in the car the next morning, Rosie had his usual place in the passenger seat and was blaring Taylor Swift from the speakers.

    "Hey J!" grinned Isaac. Rosie gave him a bored-looking wave.

    "Still not called J," Jared muttered.

    "Every time you smile, I smile," sang Taylor. "And every time you shine, I'll shine for you."