Chapter 33: The Boy Who Died: Part 2

Don't forget to read part 1!

I double uploaded!

P.S- I cried so much writing this chapter LOL.

* * * 

The moment I entered the maze, I knew it wouldn’t be that easy. It wasn’t just the contract anymore. It was much more than that. It was a war between Death’s insanity and my sanity. I stared down a path of dirt and decaying corn stalks that seemed to go on forever and ever. And when I turned around, the entrance to the maze was gone. In its place was corn stalks that I knew weren’t there before. I knew they hadn’t been there…

Or had they?

You asked for this. Death's velvety, smooth laughter filled my every thought. You deserve this. You deserve the pain, the insanity. This is what you get for having a second chance at life. His voice went in and out between out of my head and inside of my head, disorienting me. You get me.

I shook my head. "I don't deserve any of this," I said, and the words began to echo as if I was in a tunnel.

You isolated yourself from your school, your family, and even your best friend. It's all your fault. You do deserve this, Faith. I shut my eyes and gripped both sides of my skull. It's ALL your fault. Even when I have all your loved ones dragged down to hell, you'll blame yourself, and you know it'll be the right conviction. 

"No!" I shouted. "YOU'RE WRONG! I HATE YOU! YOU'RE WRONG, AND YOU KNOW YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE SCREWING WITH ME!"

Death's cruel laughter filled my head. Maybe you're just crazy. Maybe you're imagining all of this. How tragic. Poor Faith.

I stilled, my throat constricting as I realized I didn't know if he was telling the truth or not.

You’re letting him in.

Panicking, I pushed through the wall of corn stalks, trying to find the entrance of the maze, but the corn stalks never ended and became to tough to climb through that I had to start retracing my steps. The stalks cut my skin and I smacked at bugs on my arms, until I found my way back to a dirt path in the maze.

I came to a fork in the maze, unsure of which direction to go.

 My sweat was getting in my eyes, my breaths in heavy pants. I shut my eyes, willing my thoughts to slow down. I felt like I wasn’t getting enough oxygen. I struggled to keep my anxiety down. I couldn’t black out. I wouldn’t. I imagined there were workers on the farm hidden in the maze. How would I know who was Death and who wasn’t? They could have been anywhere, ready to pop out…

The truth was, I still didn't know what kind of creature I was dealing with. He was unpredictable and unstable. What did I know about him for sure?

I could assume Death was in many wars. I could assume he was married once. I could assume he had kids before. I could assume he watched many people he loved die. I could assume he was haunted by things of his past. I could assume he hated some mistakes he’d made in his lifetime, and to a certain extent, he probably hated his immortality. I could assume that he shut off his emotions with ease, but at that point in his existence, he was numb to everything anyway. I could assume the mask Death was forced to wear over his identity was also over his heart. I could assume he was lonely, depressed, and truly insane. I could assume he knew a lot more than me than he was letting on. I could assume his reputation was a lot worse than I could ever imagine. I could assume he had no remorse for the people he killed, no conscience.