Chapter 184

Author's note: There's a small but very wholesome lemon in this chapter. Read at your own risk.

_____________

Chapter One Hundred and Eighty Four

Eternity. I was with my family for an eternity. There was no possible way that the dream I was having only stretched on for twelve full hours, years and years and years were passing. I grew up all over again in my ever-shifting household with my family. As if I were redoing my life, reliving so many moments but in the best possible way, spending time with everyone.

Sebastian was by my side for every second of it, watching as I talked with my mother.

Played ball and made music on the guitar and piano with my father.

Dressed up and danced and did so many fun things with my sister and her husband.

We danced. We laughed. We cried. And the entire time, they seemed to be oblivious towards the reality that they were no longer alive. They didn't know I was a vampire, didn't know that Sebastian was a werewolf, all they knew was that I was home and they loved me.

I spent time in my childhood home, fighting the horrible urge to cry behind my laughter, watching my parents and my sibling talk and interact like they would have if they were alive, completely oblivious to the fact that this was the very last time we would ever see each other.

This was a second chance. A real one, to say goodbye.

But I didn't want to say goodbye.

Even while we cuddled and talked and baked and danced and had fun and played, I could feel the end of the dream coming even beyond the distorted experience of time slowing down all around us. Even though it felt like years had passed, it wasn't long enough... I couldn't prepare myself for what was to come. I tried not to think too hard, even though miles away I still felt it.

I felt it in my blood, in the deepest recesses of my soul. I had no intention of forgetting them, but lingering in the memory of their laughter and smiles and faces would only make it harder.

It was hard enough as it was.

Try though I might, however, I couldn't stop time.

I could feel it coming.

And with every second, it began to show in the faces of my family members. Exhaustion and happy sleepiness, a weariness borne of something deeper than a physical need for rest. The appearance of an exhausted spirit, taxed beyond its limits.

I squeezed their hands as we lay in the grass, looking up at the brilliant sky above, at the dancing stars swirling like water going down the drain. Kim's head was resting on my shoulder. Flowers danced all around us, white and beautiful and pure.

My mother squeezed my hand back, letting loose a sigh.

The first sound in an eternity.

"I feel so tired," she murmured, and I turned to see her smiling at me, green eyes glittering, the fringe of her red lashes peeking out at me. "It's been a wonderful day, hasn't it?"

"Yeah, Mom," I said in a thick tone, nodding as I forced a smile. "It has."

"Tomorrow, we should all pack up and go to Disney Land," Kim murmured, still garbed in her wedding gown as if it were something as simple and normal as a summer dress. "As a family."