opia

opia

-

the intensity of looking someone in the eye

which can feel simultaneously invasive and vulnerable

For ten days now, we've locked ourselves in our houses and cried ourselves to sleep. Asked, "What is this place that looks like home?" And, "Why are we here?" What we know for certain is that the sun came up not too long ago, at 5.41 a.m. Which is how it should be, heading towards the summer solstice. But at the train station, the 7.10 to New York never arrived. Neither did the 7.25. No trains arrived yesterday. Or the day before. Or the day before that. Some people believed that we would wake up from this, and the dream would be over, and that everything would, again, be like it was before. Ten days is a long time to believe that. But the sun just keeps coming up, everyday, and you can't cry forever. You have to put your shoes on, you have to eat, you have to have hope. Don't you? Because who knows? Maybe tomorrow. 

Over the past ten days, Adelaide has endlessly partied and cried herself to sleep. She still has no friends, no hope and almost no happiness. Elle has avoided her, despite Addy's attempts to communicate. Cassandra's clique don't want anything to do with her, considering she doesn't have the same mindset as them. 

Addy leaned against the outdoor gazebo near the church, watching the kids' attempts at communicating with the heavens. She folded her arms and rolled her eyes, muttering "This is stupid." to herself. Adelaide took a swig of whiskey from her flask that was hidden in her pocket. Over the past couple of days, she had developed a serious drinking problem. She wasn't just drinking at parties, it was during the day also. To forget. Upon noticing the girl, Harry Bingham walked over to her. "You look like shit." he stated. Adelaide glanced at him, before offering him the flask she was holding. He shrugged and took it, taking a sip. "There's a game of fugitive tonight. You should be my partner." Addy let out a small laugh and turned to face him. "What about Kelly?" she asked in a sarcastic tone.

"You're more fun." he smirked, giving her the flask back. Adelaide couldn't help but smile, she sighed, "I'll think about it." before walking away. Whilst walking home, Addy had the bright idea to stop by the Pressman's household. Considering she was drunk, she didn't thoroughly think through the idea and would come to regret it later. 

Knocking on the door, she quickly put her drink back in her pocket. She had come to apologise, Addy wanted to be in charge of things in New Ham and didn't want to sit on the sidelines, with Cassandra telling her what to do. Allie answered the door, and looked particularly shocked as to who was on the other side. Adelaide walked past Allie into the kitchen without saying anything, she saw Sam, Becca, Cassandra and Gordie all gathered around the island. She gave a short smile to them all before taking a seat. Everyone looked at her in confusion.

Cassandra broke the silence, "Um, what are you doing here?" Addy looked up at the girl and waved her finger at her whilst stumbling over her own words, "I... came to apologise." Allie noticed her posture and folded her arms before stating, "Are you drunk right now?" Adelaide laughed and shook her head, "I may be a little tipsy." Gordie looked at her and frowned, feeling sorry for the girl, "Do you um... want me to walk you home?" They were interrupted when Will walked through the door.