The Wedding

Yup, you read that right. It's their big day, enjoy! ❤️

***********************************

Carter stared at her reflection but didn't really see it. Her mind was buzzing with thoughts she couldn't turn off. Around her, the room was sweet with the scent of perfume. The light was shifting outside and evening was closing in on the day. The silky fabric of Carter's dress encased her skin as Maggie slid the zipper up. She peered over Carter's shoulder and beamed at her reflection. When Carter said nothing, Maggie squeezed her shoulders.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked, her voice teasing.

"A drug lord named Marius," Carter said.

Maggie cocked an eyebrow.

"Really?"

"Yeah, we're close to shutting him down, but I can't shake the feeling he's on to us."

Maggie rounded Carter and stood staring at her.

"That's the only you're thinking about right now?" she asked, skeptical.

Carter smirked. "I can multi-task."

"How about this," Maggie said. "You talk about the other thoughts you are having. Possibly the wedding you are about to have."

The smirk morphed into a grin and Maggie responded.

"There, that was what I was trying to get to. Now," she stepped away, letting Carter see herself. "What do you think?"

The girl in the mirror was far different than Carter saw herself as. The white dress hugged her waist then fanned out at her hips, turning into a loose skirt that brushed the top of her knees. Her hair was pulled up into a bun but little wisps were curled and hung down, framing her face. The only concession to makeup she had allowed were the thin lines of black eye liner that made her blue eyes pop.

"I don't look like me," she murmured.

"You do, just a different side."

Maggie walked across the room and collected a lace garter. When she held it up for Carter, Carter merely stared at it.

"What is that?" she asked.

"A garter."

"What's it for?"

"Tradition. You wear it on your thigh-"

"I wear my gun holster on my thigh," Carter cut in.

"You have two legs if I'm not mistaken," Maggie teased.

Carter sighed and cocked her head.

"Alright, I wear it on my thigh and then what?"

"During the reception, after you throw the bouquet to the girls, Donovan takes this off you and throws it to the guys."

"How does he take it off? With his teeth?"

Maggie laughed. "Only if he wants your father to shoot him."

Grinning, Carter took the garter and slid it up her leg. Compared to the weight of a gun holster it was light and barely noticeable at all.

"One last thing and you are ready," Maggie said, setting a pair of flats before Carter.

She stepped into them and accepted the bouquet of flowers. It was an array of white roses, carnations, peonies and lilacs that gave off a calming scent.

"I never understood the point of holding flowers," Carter said, looking over the assortment in her hands. "What are they even for?"

Maggie opened her mouth, but Carter spoke before she could.