When They Were Ten

Kennedy's black hair whipped around her as she sprinted away from the lunch area, her ten-year-old legs working as hard as they could. As she rounded the brick school building, she staggered to a stop, resting against the rough side. Harrison hit the wall a second after her. Bent over their knees, panting hard they grinned at each other.

Harrison's light brown hair was a bit too long and pieces of it fell into his face, obscuring one of his hazel eyes. At ten and only a couple months older than Kennedy, he was lanky and just beginning to grow upwards. Swiping a strand of hair away, Kennedy straightened.

"I think that went well," she said.

Harrison nodded. Before he could verbally offer agreement, two figures appeared around the side of the school. Surprised, Kennedy stepped back into the wall and Harrison joined her. The two boys walking towards them were scowling. In their eyes was hot anger, ignited by humiliation. Though they shared the same age as the pair against the wall, they were already a few inches taller and their builds were broader.

"Give us our money back," the brown-haired boy said, stretching out a hand like he expected the money to jump into his palm.

Kennedy clenched her fist. "It's not your money."

The second boy grinned, but there was nothing kind about it.

"Yes, it is."

Harrison crossed his arms. "No, it's not. We saw you take it from that boy, Damon. You and Trent are thieves."

Emboldened by Harrison's support, Kennedy jabbed an accusatory finger at them.

"You aren't getting it back and we're going to tell on you."

Trent took a hostile step forward, glaring down at the little girl with tan skin and fierce blue eyes.

"You think a stupid, pathetic girl like you is going to say anything?"

Harrison moved in front of Kennedy, his eyes blazing with rage.

"No one calls my best friend stupid or pathetic. Take it back."

With Harrison standing so close, Kennedy could feel his fury coming off him in waves. Trent poked Harrison in the chest.

"No. And you're just as stupid. And pathetic."

Kennedy shoved Harrison out of the way and punched Trent in the nose. He let out a cry of pain. As Kennedy went to take another swing, two hands grabbed her and threw her back. She landed hard on the cement, pain spiking through her elbows. Damon reached for her but was yanked back by Harrison. He spun the kid around and decked him in the jaw.

Recovered enough, Trent lunged for Harrison. Kennedy scrambled to her feet and ran into Trent. He let out a sharp oof and pushed her away. Still half his size, the force was enough to make Kennedy stumble. Trent came for her again, true anger etched in his face.

"You're going to pay for that," he said, his nose red.

He swung at her, but she ducked. Crouching low, she swept her leg out, knocking him off his feet. He fell to the ground with a heavy thud and Kennedy climbed onto of him, pinning his legs down. She punched him once in the face, her knuckles smarting with the impact. She didn't care, he had insulted her best friend, he wasn't getting away with it. When she went to hit him again, a hand snatched her arm and she was pulled off Trent.

"Let me go!" she shouted, flailing against the strong grip.

"Kennedy Keller stop!" The deep authoritative voice halted her struggle.

When she looked up she was met with the stern eyes of her teacher. Her gaze darted over to Harrison and she found he was being lifted off Damon by their gym teacher. Once certain they wouldn't fight, both kids were set on the ground, but not released. With their wrists held in the tight grips of their teachers, they were led away. The crowd of students who had rushed to see the action parted, watching them get hauled away to the office.