Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

"(y/n)? What are you doing?" Suki asked softly, her hands instantly holding your shoulders as if she thought you were going to leave without saying a word.

"What do you mean?" you asked, feeling vaguely guilty.

"Suki—I really don't think you should barge in like this—"

"I wasn't asking you," she shot a glare over her shoulder to Quince, who decided to remain silent. He could watch how this unfolded. Suki continued, "What are you doing... with him?"

"I—"

"He likes you too, doesn't he?" she interrupted, her wide eyes lined with tears.

"Suki, I—It's really complicated," you said. And this was true. It was, no matter how you looked at it, a complicated situation.

Of course, you could answer her question easily. Yes. Yes, Quince liked you, too. Quite a bit, it seems. Normally the fact would bring a smile to your face, but right now it just felt like a crime.

"That's enough to tell me it's true," Suki spoke softly, breaking eye contact and pulling her hands away from you. She turned to Quince expectantly, "Why?"

"Why...? That's a ridiculous question coming from you," he frowned.

"Why is this so hard? Why is it all...like this?"

"Again, these are...impossible questions," Quince looked away, uncomfortable with the display.

"This is unfair, this is cruel and unfair!" she began to speak louder, tears falling down her face. She turned to you again, your face beginning to mirror her own in overwhelming emotion. "Do you know what it's like, (y/n)? No, no there's no way you'd know how it feels," she practically spat out, the pain coming off of her like waves.

"How what feels?" you prodded, even though you truly didn't want to.

"Have you ever been in love with someone who doesn't like you back? Cared about someone who could never feel the same about you? Have you ever had a pit in your stomach that makes you feel so fucking sick that you find yourself revolting?"

"Suki, I—"

"It hurts so badly, (y/n)," she continued, the look in her eyes going completely wild. "Everyone has a favorite person. Everyone has a best friend or... a crush, or a lover! Everyone has someone that they'd choose above everyone else in a heartbeat. But what happens when you're no one's favorite? I'm no one's best friend. I'm no one's favorite, and no one will ever love me as much as I love them."

"I'm sorry," you offered weakly, tears beginning to fall down your own face. Suki looked almost mad but mostly hurt. She looked wounded.

"If you had to choose anyone, you'd choose Quince," she said resentfully, his name coming from her lips like it was a curse word. Her tone softened considerably in the next sentence, "But I'd choose you. I would've chosen you; I would always choose you. I'd choose you over anyone, even over me. Especially over me!" she took to shouting again, "I hate myself for not being the person you want!" Her hands flew to her head, gripping at her scalp as if she thought her brain would leak away and she'd be left as a non-functioning mass.

"That's not fair, Suki, that's no way to live! You have to value yourself," you cried out, the tears falling freely. Quince was frozen at this exchange—knowing he should do something but feeling unable to.