Masterpiece

Max POV

After when we got back on the ship, I went back to the loading dock to disembark the mech there. I quickly rush back to my workstation only to be meet both Nova and Mia surrounding an octoling. As I got closer, I realize it's the same octoling that helped me in a bad situation.

"Here you go, one live fresh specimen just for you Nova."

After when Mia said those words, my heart sank to my stomach I knew I have to speak up now. "No, I don't think you are going to do anything to that thing."

They both looked at me with their normal stare while Nova began to put on a fake smile.

" Oh Max you are here. I was about to transport our friend here for a chec-"

I quickly interrupted her midspeech " Don't lie to me crazy women. You were about to do more than a checkup. " She quickly put away her face smile and look me in the eyes.

" If there is one thing I dislike, it's lying. I'm going to take our friend to my lab for a checkup. Then proceed to dissect for research "

I cross my arms while Mia began to take a few steps back. " I'm fine if it was somebody evil, but I refuse for our ally to b-" I was then interrupted by Nova who was giving a look of realization.

" How do you know it's an ally? "

" How could I forget someone who got me out of a bad situation. If it wasn't for her, they could have cut the wires of the mech or I would be forced to use water on them and risk getting circuit damage. " I can see Nova slowly turn her head towards Mia. No words were spoken but her expression was very clear. Mia look at Nova with a face of confusion.

" You told me to capture someone alive. So, this octoling was the first thing I saw when I left the building. "

Nova began to cover her face while walking around in circles.

"How could this happen? How can I fix this? They probably think we're hostile." Nova just keep walking in circles while I pick up our friend from the floor and lay her on an empty worktable. "I GOT IT"

I turn my head towards Nova who just look like she solved the biggest mystery. "What?"

" well return her and apologize. I mean we could say it was an accident? "

Mia began to get up from the stairway and started to voice her opinion.

"We could do that, OR we could make a trade."

I don't like where this is going but Mia still have more to say.

"If we could make on offer then we could some stuff. For example I have data from the base we just raided so we can us that as leverage. Our friend here is something we can use as an advantage."

Nova looked at her with a blank stare.

"Mia you have a mental complexity to become a great scientist."

" Thank you, Nova, but being stuck in a lab is boring and lonely. Anyway, I know you have some way to contact them in going to use that later when our friend wakes up. "

Just heading those two-talk made me think they were the devil. After I grab a blanket of some sort for our friend, I walk over to my workstation and began building the core. I have to tell Mia to not make us look bad, but Nova beat me to it

"Mia do not make enemies with them. Okay?"

"No promises"

Time skip

I don't know how much time we have left, but I hope I can finish this before it's too late. Mia was just relaxing by the window of the workstation. When I was about to recheck some wires again, I notice our friend is starting to wake up. Sadly, setting up this contraption is more important, but Mia without her mask on got right up to her face. Next thing I heard was a loud shriek like someone was dying. Mia then began talking loudly.