Chapter 15

I was surprised when I woke up and I say daylight streaming in. Ever since I became Queen, I've gotten awful nightmares almost every night. I guess I was so tired I didn't dream. Thank goodness.

I roll out of bed and walk out of the barracks. I see Branwen sitting by the seashore and decide to go talk to her.

"Hey Bran-how are you?" I ask. She glares at the water.

"Go away!" She yells, and takes off running. Woah-if anything I wasn't expecting that. Bran is usually so cheerful and happy. I wonder what's up. But what can you do?

"Lynx."

I spin to see Electra.

"Oh hi-" I say. Electra just looks at me and I shut up.

"Let's walk." She says. I hesitantly follow her.

We walk in silence for a couple seconds.

"I have a plan. The day after tomorrow we ride for Faiyria. The supposed Queen there was offered a proposition. Obviously she hasn't surrendered, so we're going to create some havoc offer there. You lived in Faiyria right?" She asks me. I'm taken aback.

"Yea why?" I respond.

"Your going to lead us through Faiyria, first to the treasury, then to the Queen. We're going to kill her and anybody that try's to protect her. It's past her time to go. Trust me. There's nothing I want to do more then see that little brat scream and beg for her life as her city burns." Electra scowls.

If only she knew who she was talking to.

"Ok." I say simply. I can promise you that I won't take Electra anywhere of importance. I'd die before I'd let her touch anything of Faiyria's.

One thing doesn't add up though. How is she going to get into the castle? How does she even know the information she knows? I should ask Electra.

Here goes nothing.

"One question though. How are we getting in the castle?" I ask. Electra laughs.

"You won't believe this-her captain of guard! He's on our side!" She grins.

I feel sick.

I force myself to laugh excitedly.

"That's great!" I fake excitement. I think she buys it because she just keeps smiling.

Tago, my own captain is my downfall. I need to get word to Mufar. This is such a twisted dream. I can't even believe this.

We keep walking in silence. I just can't get over the fact that Tago was going to help Electra kill me. How dare he!

Finally Electra speaks.

"I don't think you're who you say you are." She says. I stiffen up. Could she suspect. No.

"What do you mean?" I ask cautiously. She looks at me.

"Oh please. The sword fight yesterday? I've never seen anybody that bad. It was almost like you were trying to be awful. I think your actually very good, but for some reason your trying to hide it." She tells me. I force a laugh and touch the hilt of the sword at my waist.

"I've never picked up a sword before. How do you expect me to be any good at all?" I say freely. Electra stops.

"Take out your sword." She tells me. I cautiously take it out and let my arm hang at my side.

"You hold it like you know how to." She scrutinizes me. I feel slightly self conscious. I scoff and turn away. I only have taken a step before she shrieks my name.

I turn to see a knife hurtling towards me. Instinctively I raise my sword and deflect it. Electra stands there with a smirk on her face.

"So you do know how to use a sword. The question is, why did you lie?" She scoffs and turns away, leaving me on the beach.

I spend the rest of the day pondering what to do. I need to get word to Mufar. But I can't just leave. They would hunt me down and kill me. I remember how much Laura wants to leave. Maybe I can help her escape and get the word to Mufar. Nobody ever pays her any attention. She doesn't have a part in Electra's plan. They would probably let her go. It's not s great plan, but the best I've got. Right before dinner, I pull Laura aside and explain my plan. She doesn't even blink before agreeing to it. Tonight at 11 pm, we'll sneak out and we'll escape. I told her that both of us would leave, while in reality it's only going to be her.

After dinner I see Bran sitting by the sea with her head in her hands. She was very quiet at dinner. I sit beside her.

"I thought we established that I was the grumpy one in our relationship." I say. She glares at me.

"What do you want!" She growls. Now I'm seriously worried.

"Are you ok? I know your upset. What's wrong?" I ask gently. Branwen's face crumpled up.

"I don't want to stay here!" She sobs. I put a comforting arm around her. I decide then and there that Branwen is going with Laura.

"I'll get you out. Meet me at the stables at 11 tonight." I whisper. Bran looks at me.

"Thank you!" She murmurs.

"Don't tell anyone!" I tell her. She nods and walks up.

I look at the setting sun and sigh. The next couple days are going to be interesting.

At 11, I'm already waiting in the shadows. Laura is already here, and Bran is on her way. I hand Laura a letter.

"Make sure this gets into Mufar's hands. If there's a risk of anybody seeing it, destroy it." I tell her urgently. Laura frowns.

"What about you?" She asks me. I don't answer. Just then Bran arrives. I boost her on the horse, and make Laura get on.

"Don't don't do this-you'll die!" Laura whispers. I frown and slap the horse. It starts to move. Laura turns to look at me.

"Eadu no!" She mutters. I watch the horse gallop away. Just before they're gone, I hear Branwen asking Laura.

"Who's Eadu?"