٥

Bosphorus Rose

Chapter 5

Iskender wasn't used to being ignored. Back at the parties he attended in Parisian mansions and at the gentlemen's clubs in Constantinople, he was always the centre of attention. But now the three people physically closest to him treated him like he wasn't there.

But then he supposed, he was also used to it. It was also just like how his family barely acknowledged him. Muhsine and him used to be close, and he wondered what happened between them that she now, too, chose to distance herself from him.

He never thought that his teasing could've had such an effect on Murad. He had found the flustering bridegroom amusing, but he never really meant any harm. But of course, he had messed up, yet again. Like he always does.

He cursed himself for never stopping to think before doing anything.

Murad on the other hand, spent his time looking out of the window as usual. He could see the faded turquoise domes of the Mihrimah Sultan Mosque as they passed the elegant complex. The mosque complex that Ismail Celebi built was in a far poorer part of the district, and built to serve a function. The women in the palace could afford to build monuments to leave a legacy. In his hands he fidgeted with his handkerchief.

He would be lying if he didn't admit he almost wanted to take Iskender's hand when he had extended it earlier. But then he remembered how he said those horrible things to Azemet. He was conflicted but just decided to just ignore the man. To be honest, he really wanted to just try to smooth things out with him, but when Azemet was concerned, he always put his brother first.

Iskender's presence in the carriage disturbed him, but it was a strange feeling. Murad felt that maybe it was because Iskender was a strange man. His cheeks turned warm as his heart raced. He supposed he was just nervous, but no one ever made him feel that way before. Situations made him nervous, but never certain individuals. He had even accompanied Ismail Celebi to the palace and had met with grand officials, and not even once did he feel the way like he did with Iskender. It was one of the reasons Murad wanted to avoid him.

Murad had heard of Iskender before, but he had never put a face to the name, until now.

Sure, his behaviour had been infruriating, but Murad was ready to forgive him. Sure, he had shamed him in front of everyone, but the boy was quick to forget anyone's misdeeds. Everyone made mistakes, he thought to himself. It was easier to just let go of things than to fret over them.

But there were just some things Murad could never let go.

He wished his parents were still here. If it wasn't for the war, they would be the ones to be marrying him off. He would be receiving his father's blessing and kissing his mother's hand. Instead, that night he would be with his uncle and aunt. He felt the sadness creep into his heart, but he immediately tried to shake the thoughts off.

He should be grateful he was still alive. In a sense, he delved himself in charity to make the most of the life that was given to him. There were others out there that were suffering far more than him. He had so much to live for. He still had so much to contribute.

Azemet knew deep inside Murad was still hurting. Murad rarely talked about his family, and when he did, he was quick to change the topic. The loss of his mother was especially devastating.

Azemet only knew Emine for the brief duration of their journey together to Constantinople, but the impact that she had on him was everlasting. It was from her that Azemet could see where Murad got his heart of gold from.

When the chaos had subsided, the refugees, escorted by Russian soldiers returned to the scene of the carnage to pick up the pieces. The Russian commanding officers had ordered the soldiers to take ameliorating measures, after seeing the carnage and destruction wreaked on the fleeing refugees. They had allowed them to return to fetch their belongings and retrieve the dead. The three of them stuck together, as Azemet looked for his family.