Chapter 11

"What is this?"

I remember the Stevensons. They were mom and dad's friends. They also had dinner at our house the night my parents died. For all they knew I was dead. To say that their message was unexpected would be an understatement.

Blake immediately starts making calls to different people and places. So does Al. I'm pretty sure he's calling the tv company to try and figure out how and when they were contacted to do this.

I feel so useless. I'm not a genius, I'm not great at martial arts and I don't speak 11 languages. That's something the others in this room can do. They were also able to easily reorient themselves when the broadcast aired and take the appropriate steps.

"Okay, they're expecting us at HQ. Right now." Blake says once he gets off the phone.

What was supposed to be an easy, quiet night just took a turn for the worst. I ran out of the house and into the car.

Everyone was cranky when we arrived at HQ. I know I should have stayed composed but was very close to snapping. I hadn't slept well in a while, people were threatening to kill me, and now this? Even after everything that had happened in my life, I have a breaking point. And I will most likely reach it very soon.

At HQ I'm interrogated by many different people. There is Alan, and Xavier, and others who do interrogations for a living. Those guys are the weirdest to talk to. They also have a knack for asking just the right questions to get the exact answer they want. It's good for criminals and the such but I'm a teenager. I haven't done anything wrong!

After a few hours, and endless rounds of questioning, I'm released. I catch a glimpse at a clock. It's already 3 in the morning! I can't exactly call any of my friends at this ungodly hour.

Blake comes and tells me that they are doing a search on the Stevensons. That it was the new plan and would hopefully get us somewhere.

"But Blake! The Stevensons were checked out during the original investigation. Back when all of this started. Aren't you just wasting resources ding it again?"

"We have better resources now. Just let us do what we must. Here, I'll take you to a bedroom to get some sleep. Mia's already brought you some clothes."

I know I should help, but I am really considering taking him up on that offer. Sleep sounded like heaven right now.

************************************

In the morning, I am told that I wasn't to go to school. That it was dangerous. I sent a quick text to Chloe, letting her know where I was. I wondered why it was too dangerous to go to school.

I find out soon enough. Blake shows me a computer with different emails open. At first, I don't see a connection, but then it hits me. All of these emails have two names in common. Mills and Stevenson.

Blake knows when the realization hits me because he starts talking.

"It might be nothing, we might just be paranoid, but the Mills' are said to be flying over to New York in a couple of days for the fashion show."

"Oh! I've heard of it. It's their annual summer collection fashion show. It's a big deal in that world." Mia exclaims.

"And apparently in your world as well, Mia," Blake responds, with a slight smirk on his face.

"Well, excuse me for doing a lot of work for people in that industry. It does get me a lot of free stuff."

"Yeah, yeah."

It honestly amazes me that people who protect others with their lives, and who have no doubt critically injured others can bicker about something so trivial. And with such joy and fun.