nine

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘗𝘙𝘐𝘌𝘚𝘛. )

THE GROUP TRUDGED through the thick forest as the smoke rose from behind them

THE GROUP TRUDGED through the thick forest as the smoke rose from behind them. They were silent, and still catching their breath from the fight that ensued at Terminus. Murphy walked towards the back of the group, where Rosita and Sasha were. She held a rifle in her hands, ready to use it at any moment, whether it be for the dead or for the living.

Up ahead, Rick and the man she learned to be named Daryl searched for the bag that Gareth was talking about in the warehouse. In it was a stash of weapons that would be helpful for the journey ahead. Daryl pointed at a pile of leaves and dirt near a tree, "Right here."

They dug around for the shovel and began digging for the bag. Murphy stopped walking and watched as Abraham stepped forward and spoke, "What the hell are we still around here for?"

Rick responded as he dug, "Guns, some supplies. Go along the fences. Use the rifles. Take out the rest of 'em."

"What?" Bob asked, walking towards him and stopping near Daryl.

Rick stopped his digging and looked up at him, "They don't get to live."

The group was silent and Murphy scoffed, "We barely made it out, Rick."

Glenn nodded, "It's over."

"It's not over until they're all dead," Rick answered, checking his silver pistol for bullets.

Rosita spoke from beside Murphy, "The hell it isn't. That place is on fire. Full of walkers."

"I'm not dicking around with this crap," Abraham agreed.

Maggie spoke calmly, "The fences are down. They'll run or die."

Murphy nodded, lowering her sight to the ground below her feet. Suddenly, from the corner of her eye, a figure appeared. She raised her gaze, tightening her hold on the rifle in her hands. It was a woman. She was older, but carried an array of weapons on her body. Murphy watched as Daryl pushed himself from the tree that he'd been leaning on, and sprinted over to meet the woman. It was obvious that she was a part of the group before their meeting at Terminus.

Daryl wrapped his arms around the woman tightly, burying his head in her shoulder. He lifted her slightly off the ground, showing an emotion Murphy hadn't seen in a long time. Rick slowly walked over to the pair, and Daryl backed away, tears glistening in his eyes.

"Did you do that?" Rick asked lowly.

The woman wiped the tears on her cheeks while softly nodding. Rick took her in his arms, putting a hand on the back of her head to pull her closer. The woman let out a soft laugh, still crying. Murphy watched the scene before her with a soft smile, wondering how long this group had been together. They were so close... closer than she had ever seen since the world ended.