Part 13

"The general rumors are currently in your favor, girl." Rig lounged in the chair across from me, cutting into an apple while he spoke. "The idiot prince tried to tell too many people you were clumsy and blaming you for his faults at dancing, only to have you show him up. They feel that you've become very accomplished, and perhaps aren't appreciated enough."

I grinned, taking a slice of apple from it and eating it, ignoring the conflicted stare from Hallers at my breaking protocol. "Good. While we're still building the business and getting the Duchy in a stronger position, I'll have to maintain a fairly good reputation."

Of course, in a couple of years, I'll be considered worthless in the eyes of the nobility. I'll have to make sure to distance myself from the public face of both the business and the duchy before then.

I didn't voice the second part. I didn't really have any explanation for why I needed to plan for a future only I knew about.

"Is that all, Rig?" I asked, watching as he tossed the apple core up in the air, obviously distracted.

"...No, it's not." He sighed, putting the fruit core down and rubbing his face. It had barely touched the surface of the desk before Hallers had snatched it up and disposed of it properly, making sure to shoot a disapproving at Rig for daring to try to cause a mess in his presence.

"I need a favor..." He looked around, and then continued slightly quieter. "I need to check on someone... but it's complicated."

I had wondered when he would ask. I looked over to Hallers. "Can you give us a few minutes of privacy?"

"I'll be right outside if you need me, Miss." He obeyed my request without hesitation, but paused to look at Rig on his way out. I couldn't see the butler's face, but judging by Rig, a man who made selling information on the street, whose face turned pale, it was quite the warning glare. As we were left alone, Rig ran a hand through his hair, obviously unsure as to how to proceed.

"I've been thinking about this for a long time. You are the only person to know about... her, and it's not the sort of place you can just walk into. I want to see her myself, you know, make sure she's okay." He looked back at the door Hallers had just left, looking guilty. "I know you've been overworked, girl, and I don't want to add to your troubles..."

"Rig." My voice was firm as I turned to rummage through the chest next to my desk. Finding what I was looking for, I pulled it out, tossing one to Rig. "Catch."

He caught it with a quizzical expression, his face changing to shock as he looked closer. It was a servant's uniform, one with a very specific crest embroidered across sleeve of the coat.

"How did you...?"

"Made them myself months ago." I chuckled. "I figured you would want to check on Raewynn sooner or later. If we go in the evening we can watch her in the garden. Their staff has a fairly high turnover rate, most of the servants won't bat an eye at a few new faces as long as we're wearing the right clothes."

"..." Still seeming too stunned to speak, his gaze slowly drifted to the similar embroidered maid uniform in my hands. "You're coming too?"

"Like you said, it's not the sort of place you can just walk into. You need someone watching your back," I smiled. "Also to make sure you don't do something stupid."

Rig nodded. "I can't argue with that."

"Good." I wrote an address and time on a paper, handing it to him. "Then, I'll see you tonight."

__________________________________

I went to my room "to rest" early for the night, right after dinner. Although I assured Hallers that it was simply because I was tired, I felt his suspicious gaze follow me until I hid in my room.