Chapter 29

Alpha Cain's POV

I immediately reached for Ares as her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she started falling to the floor from her knees.

I caught her, feeling her warm blood ooze on to my arm from where it rested under her back. Her eyes were closed, her breathing shallow.

I made a huge mistake.

I wanted her submission, but I didn't know the price would be so high. Why would she submit after she already endured the punishment? Did she think I would keep lashing her until she submitted?

I mindlinked the pack doctor, telling him to run to the medical center, and that I would be there with Ares in a second.

I picked her up, careful to minimize my contact with her back. Her back looked gruesome. It didn't even resemble human flesh anymore, more like a slab of raw meat. Ordinarily, she should have been able to heal quickly, but my fire made it harder for her to heal.

I began sprinting in my human form towards the pack medical center, where the doctor was already waiting.

"Help her, please," I begged him, desperation clouding my voice.

"Of course, Alpha. Put her on that bed, face down," He told me, pointing to one of the hospital beds. I obliged his request and helplessly stood around waiting as he grabbed different medical supplies.

He worked on her back for awhile, applying different herbs and ointments, until he stepped back, his face grim.

"What?" I growled, not liking the look on his face.

He jumped from my tone, probably fearing a beating. "The good news is, she will live through this. The bad news is, she is in a coma. I reckon that she is in this state of lacking consciousness in order to numb her from the pain while her body heals itself."

I looked at my mate in regret, sadness, and guilt. Her back looked no better than it did when I came here, not that I blamed the doctor. Her face, however, was completely peaceful. I had never seen that look on her face before, and it filled me with sorrow.

"When will she awaken?" I asked gruffly.

The doctor hesitated. "It's difficult to say... Assuming she wakes up, it could be days, likely weeks."

My eyes narrowed. "Are you saying there's a chance she won't ever come out of this coma?"

He gulped fearfully. "There is always the chance that when someone enters a comatose state that they will never wake up. It's in the Moon Goddess's hands now. All we can do is pray that she has mercy on your mate."

I nodded, dropping to my knees in prayer as the doctor hooked her up to an IV drip. When I finished praying, and I had much to pray for, the doctor told me that they wouldn't be bandaging the wounds because she will be able to heal herself faster if she is unrestrained and is airing out the wound.

I grabbed Ares' hand gently, as if she were made of glass, and didn't say a word.

What could I possibly say?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Two weeks went by and Ares' back had made tremendous progress in recovering, but she showed no signs of awakening from her coma. My wolf was frantic at all times, coming out over the slightest irritant.

I slept in a chair in her room every night, willing her to wake up. I knew the closer we were, the higher chance there was of the mate bond helping heal her.

Many pack members steered clear of me the past two weeks, knowing the status of my mate and knowing that my wolf was on edge.

I only left her side when I had urgent pack matters to deal with, and rushed back as soon as I could.

On the 14th night of my mate being comatose, I fell asleep, willing the Moon Goddess to save my
mate and take my life instead.

"Hello, child," a honey voice spoke into my mind and I looked around to see where it was coming from. I was no longer in the hospital room, but rather, a large field of flowers.

My eyes came across a brilliantly glowing figure of a woman. "Moon Goddess," I gasped, falling to my knees in respect and submission.

Her eyes shone. Looking back on this dream in future times, I found that I wasn't able to describe what she looked like, nor could I picture it anymore. All I could remember was how fiercely she was glowing, her bright aura enveloping her entire being.

"My mate," I plead out, begging her to help.

The Moon Goddess smiled sadly. "She has been through quite the ordeal. The coma was necessary not only for her body to heal, but for her mind to be at peace as well."

I looked down, guiltily.

"Look up, my child," She spoke the words gently, and her voice caressed me sweetly. "Do not blame yourself for this. She had to see your power firsthand. She would not have submitted otherwise. Violence is the only thing she understands, and it is the only thing she responds to."

Tears freely flowed out of my eyes. "Then how do I get her to love me back if all she understands is pain?"

The Moon Goddess looked down at me, not breaking her slight smile. "Now that you have her submission, give her some freedom. It's what she cherishes more than anything."

"I-I can't," I mumbled. "The Blood Laws..."

"In her case, I would suggest letting her break one particular Blood Law. I believe it is the only way she will grow to love you." She spoke gently.

"I can't let her walk around. She needs my protection," I insisted, keeping my tone respectful although I disagreed.

The Moon Goddess raised an eyebrow. "Have you not seen her power? She is stronger than you realize, and the fullness of her power has not even come to fruition yet."

I frowned, considering her words. "Why is she so powerful?"

The Moon Goddess smiled mischievously. "She is the result of something happening that shouldn't have. I can't tell you more, as the answer affects your future. Just trust that I have blessed your mate with strength beyond what any Luna has seen before. She will rise to the occasion. You have to trust in her abilities."

I looked down in shame. She was right. I had been ignoring the raw power that Ares held because on some level, it scared me. Even though she was no match for me, I didn't understand where she got her strength from and it made me uneasy.

"I'm sorry for failing you as a Child of the Moon, and for failing my mate not only as her mate but as a human being," I repented, hanging my head down.

She used her powers to jerk my head up gently to look her in the eyes. Her kind smile never left her face, even though I was undeserving of it.

"Everything has gone as it should. Any other actions you could have done would have taken you down the wrong path. Trust that everything happens for a reason. I split your souls in perfect halves because I knew that you two are meant to be together. Trust in that. Trust in your strength as Alpha. Trust in your Luna's strength, my Child."

With those words, a brilliant white light overtook my vision, and I woke up.

I gasped for air as I frantically woke up, trying to piece together what just happened. Visits from the Moon Goddess were rare, and I intended to analyze everything she said to make sense of it all.

I looked over to Ares, who was still peacefully asleep. She had just been moved on to her back yesterday, as the doctor deemed she was healed enough to at least to that.

I studied her face, taking in all of the details, appreciating her scars. The Moon Goddess was right. Ares held power unlike anything I had ever seen before in a female, even most males I had met could not match to her strength.

All of a sudden, her eyes flew open and I was looking into a sea of grey.